Page 93 of 111 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast
    Thanks for all the condolences guys. We are doing ok and making sure we all have a video meet up once a day with Mum. I keep giving her jobs to do finding information for me which is keeping her busy.
    Classic Replica Viper currently in build

I spent a few hours today filling and sanding then repeating the process on the passenger door, aperture and surrounding area. No photos of this work but it took me a good few hours. I am almost there now.

I offered the door back into the aperture as I knew there was a mismatch on levels where the door met the scuttle. Once I had reviewed this I built the scuttle up a bit. This will need sanding down to the level of the door once it has been refitted.

Whilst waiting for filler to dry at various points through the day I spent some time sanding the nose of the car so it is ready for some filler and prep work.

My plan is to get the passenger door fitting nicely in the aperture and then sort the front of the car out ready for primer. Once this is done I will prime the whole of the car down the passenger side into the centre of the car, so effectively half of the car will then be primed. Once this is done I will turn the car around on the drive, and go through the whole process again on the drivers side.

Sorry to hear this. Take care Gav and family.
    AK Ls1/t56
    Body on April 2014
    Passed IVA March 2017
    Registered April 2017.

My condolences, its a really tough time.
    Hopefully it will pass soon.

Great work on the Cobra as usual.
    Building MK4 GD Jag based with a Chevy 383/tremec tko600.

Build blog/photo store https:/www.facebook.com/pg/gregsGD427

Made some good progress today.

Coated up the passenger door both sides with two coats of etch primer (excuse the bottles!)

Whilst I had the paint out, I was ready to go on the passenger side of the cars bodywork, so got a couple of coats of etch primer on there as well

Now everything is the same colour I can see where I need to spend some more time shaping/filling.

Just caught up with your thread Gary and so sorry to hear of your dad’s passing. Condolences to you and your family.
    Dek

Just a quick question: I have seen you are rollering on the primer, which obviously leaves a mottled surface.
    Is it much effort to cut that back to a smooth surface that you would have got had you sprayed it? Or is taking off that top uneven layer just a few mins work?
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    Just a quick question: I have seen you are rollering on the primer, which obviously leaves a mottled surface.
    Is it much effort to cut that back to a smooth surface that you would have got had you sprayed it? Or is taking off that top uneven layer just a few mins work?
    I haven’t sanded any of it back yet to be honest!

Time to talk about the passenger door.

Firstly although my door hinges are a lot better than they were to start with, I still was not happy with them.
    I had some tubes and sleeves made a while ago, so today I cut the old tubes off the end of the hinge and welded the new ones on.
    The inner sleeve is longer than the outer tube by approx 0.5mm. The theory being that the inner sleeve can be clamped up tight in the mounting bracket, and the outer tube can then rotate freely around the sleeve.

I fitted the hinge to the car and am pleased that the operation of the hinge is now much better and I am happy with it.

I then bolted the passenger door onto the hinge.

I already knew that there was some work to be done to get a decent fit to the body.

A view of the bottom of the door looking up

I spent some time fettling the hinge until I had got a fit that was probably the best I could get

A view of the bottom of the door looking up

So it was time for some pudding again

Lots more to be done but it is a start

Page 93 of 111 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast