Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Andy's Dax Rebuild

Andy’s Dax Rebuild

OK, here we go. Bit of history first:
    Bought the kit from Dax ( when Brian was in charge ) in the late eighties and eventually on the road by 1993. Red Jag v12 powered with manual 4 speed e-type box. Never really had enough money to do it exactly as I wanted but I’m told it was finished nicely and it drove well. I always felt slightly cheated by having a massive v12 engine and “only” 300bhp.
    Drove the car for quite a few years covering 4500 miles and then parked it in the garage where it stayed until 2 years ago when I decided to revamp it with an engine and gearbox change.
    The engine removal turned into a COMPLETE dismantle of the car with every nut, bolt and anything else removed.
    Plan is to concentrate on track days and maybe a little racing so the purists amongst you are probably going wince at some of the “alterations “ I’m going to make.
    Drive train is LS3 525 coupled to T56 magnum box with McLeod Twin plate clutch all supplied by Roadcraft.

Chassis alterations:
    This consisted mainly of lots of welding.
    New engine mounts, backbone brace, steel floor pans, rear seatbelt mounts and mounting bracket for new steering rack.
    Welding now complete and off we go to the powder coaters.

More to come when chassis returns and the rebuild starts.

Andy

Attached Images Attached Images

That's a fetching pink dressing gown in the second picture

I'm surprised you didn't continue the backbone brace down the tunnel and, in effect, create a centre tunnel out of the bracing?
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Not me, my "rock star" son.
    Considered extra bracing but ran out of room for everything.
    Last edited by ambar; 22-02-18 at 11:22 AM.

What's the idea of the steel floor pans, and the raised section at the back?
    Presumably the car isn't going to need an IVA after the rebuild? Already correctly registered?
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

Quote Originally Posted by ambar View Post
    Not me, my "rock star" son.
    Considered extra bracing but ran out of room for everything.
    I agree with Aaronjb, All ladder chassis are prone to flexing so the better the backbone the stiffer the chassis will be, especially if you are going to do track days and race it. It is easy to adjust the fiberglass tunnel and easy for you to do at this stage. This is something I did to my AK a few years ago.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Putting completely different seats in and they don't fit between the chassis rails. bottom of seat will basically sit on raised level so sit about 1" higher than before.
    No IVA required but emissions because of the new engine which I appear to have to supply DVLA documentation for. Might not bother to put it back on road.
    Prefer steel floor to fibreglass. Drove over debris in road once and it damaged passenger floor. Thankfully did not come right through !

Going to install roll cage which will add to stiffening

Quote Originally Posted by ambar View Post
    Going to install roll cage which will add to stiffening
    Fair point; a full cage - especially if it picks up on the suspension 'turrets' (ugly, mind, as it would skewer out over the windscreen ) - will knock any central tunnel bracing into a kocked hat as far as efficacy goes.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

This will be interesting Andy. I guess the body was bolted to the chassis with no wurth or rivets, as you can see the holes running along the rails etc. I wonder what motivated this decision all those years ago?

Back in the day -1988 I think - The option was to either bolt or rivet the body to the chassis with a bead of Sikaflex between. The body was a bugger to get off and I won't be sticking it this time. Intend to use existing bolt holes and metal plate to sandwich the body to the chassis.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast