Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dax Camber Comp 427 - not for the purists

As I posted yesterday in the newbies section a while ago I took on a part finished Dax project. It’s most of the way there and from what I can see it has had some care and attention along the way as well as no scrimping when it comes to choosing parts to put on it.

The clue is in the title but it has had some modifications to the body that could potentially upset the purists amongst us. The main ones being slanted headlights (from a Mini), a front splitter and covered side pipes. I’ve also never seen these wheels on a Cobra but I quite like them so I’m going to run with it and keep the mods as they are for now - pictures below.

The engine is basically a modified LS7 built by Boost Performance with a custom crank, titanium rods and valves.

Interesting car - but that isn't a Dax body. The chassis might be, but I've never seen a shell like your one. I rather like it too.
    DAX Cobra MK3 chassis, MK4 shell. Stainless steel butter dish. 110mm Cake tin. Whatever works. RV8.

Quote Originally Posted by Bannon View Post
    Interesting car - but that isn't a Dax body. The chassis might be, but I've never seen a shell like your one. I rather like it too.
    What makes you say it’s not a Dax body? I’ll have to have a sift through the box of invoices that came with it but as far as I was aware it was a Dax body that the previous owner had modified. It would appear that he was quite handy with the fibreglass!

Matt (?),

Irrespective of whose body it was that is a very nice car. As you say he must have been pretty handy with the resin!

Really like the headlights and the lengthened side vents but not keen on the enclosed side pipes (but before anyone else says it, yes, I know it is all about personal preferences!). Has it got twin turbos on the LS7? looks a serious bit of kit! Are you going to use it for track days or racing? - just guessing at the "750" reference.

It is a nice hard top too and the roof vent is a good idea, I am doing something similar with a hard top for my Sumo.

Regards,
    Ian

Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

I like it. Not a Cobra as we know them but good.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Ian C View Post
    Has it got twin turbos on the LS7? looks a serious bit of kit! Are you going to use it for track days or racing? - just guessing at the "750" reference.

It is a nice hard top too and the roof vent is a good idea, I am doing something similar with a hard top for my Sumo
    No there’s no turbos. The 750 is purely a reference to the cc motorbike I had before I switched to four wheel toys

I am selling the hardtop (it’s in the classifieds) as it’s going to be a fair weather car - driving something like this in the rain doesn’t sound like fun to me. I am planning on having a tonneau cover just in case I get caught out in the English summer!

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by corn plaster View Post
    I like it. Not a Cobra as we know them but good.
    Thanks Andy. To be fair I was expecting a bit more of a negative reaction but I guess it’s not pretending to be something it’s not and I get what the previous owner was doing in trying to create something a bit different.

Matt

I quite like it too, I must admit.

Although - those look like MINI headlights? If they're halogens then I hope they're better than the lights on her indoorses 2007 Cooper S .. after driving that at the weekend in the dark & the rain I think I'm going to have to look for upgrades! I've seen brighter candles..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    those look like MINI headlights?
    They are Mini headlights and I suspect they are the same as you have as they are not Halogens. I do like the look of the new full LED lights you see on the new Minis but not sure whether they would fit. If anyone here knows Minis well and can tell me if the fixings have changed over the years that would be helpful and save some time either way.

Matt

IIRC R56 (yours) and F56 (later, halo) have the same fixings - there are drop-in replacements available that are probably cheaper than genuine, like this: https://www.powerfuluk.com/bmw-mini-...drl-black.html
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast