Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone else's LS running hot?

Well as the title says, got my LS (LQ4) so cast block running LS9 cam, improved inlet and Omex 710 running well.

However it gets hot, quick I noticed the fan kick in at about 7 mins running on the weekend (set at 90).

I'm wondering if i need to change matters as I am using a single rad fan with an oil cooler right now.

I have shortened the sump, resulting in a 2l loss of oil capacity. i was hoping the oil cooler would compensate for this but maybe not!

Thinking i can get the fan to kick in earlier at maybe 75-80 degrees or take a hit and fit a winged sump, something like this :

http://www.vegasrodparts.com/product-p/9734-z.htm

any suggestions please?

Alan.
    AK Gen II delivery date Oct '15
    GM Vortec LQ4 364ci
    Tremec T56 Terminator.

Is it really running hot or is it just gauge error?
    According to my Smiths gauge my LS2 runs warm at around 110 degrees.
    According to the ECU via HPtuners software it's spot on at 90.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17

I'm not sure if an oil circuit through an engine would be very efficient at cooling the engine itself, I though the oil cooler was designed to cool the oil to maintain better lubrication characteristics.

I assume the car was stationary? Once the fans kicked it did it maintain a level temperature?
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

Well no, it crept up utills it blew the thermostat seal unfortunately i didn't have the laptop connected at the time. (Gauges are not linked up yet either).

Alan.
    AK Gen II delivery date Oct '15
    GM Vortec LQ4 364ci
    Tremec T56 Terminator.

Could be you have an air lock in there?
    Run it for a while with the cap off.
    Let it cool top up if necessary and repeat a few times.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17

My LS3 runs hot as well. The Smiths gauge will go right to 120 degs and stick! However, when checking the temp at AK with the Laptop through the Omex system the temp is 90 degs. The real issue is that when stationary and the engine running, the fan (16") does not bring the temp down, it actually goes up a few degrees. I was discussing this with my colleagues at the NEC at the weekend when discussing this with Revotec/Comex fans. We came to a possible conclusion that there was not enough hot air escaping from the engine compartment. Suggestion was to put an extractor fan in the engine bay or even one each side and extract hot air to the side vents. I have also thought of lagging the exhaust manifolds as the heat coming off them in the engine bay is very hot.
    I would be interested in other peoples thoughts on this topic.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Quote Originally Posted by AKCharlie View Post
    My LS3 runs hot as well. The Smiths gauge will go right to 120 degs and stick! However, when checking the temp at AK with the Laptop through the Omex system the temp is 90 degs. The real issue is that when stationary and the engine running, the fan (16") does not bring the temp down, it actually goes up a few degrees. I was discussing this with my colleagues at the NEC at the weekend when discussing this with Revotec/Comex fans. We came to a possible conclusion that there was not enough hot air escaping from the engine compartment. Suggestion was to put an extractor fan in the engine bay or even one each side and extract hot air to the side vents. I have also thought of lagging the exhaust manifolds as the heat coming off them in the engine bay is very hot.
    I would be interested in other peoples thoughts on this topic.
    My CATS were wrapped in exhaust tape but not the manifolds, never had an issue with mine in the 2,000 miles I did in it. Certainly never saw 120 on the temp gauge (using an AK sourced rad and fan).
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

The Cats certainly get very hot so that is quite an easy job to wrap them. Did you get any smouldering from the tape at all?

Quote Originally Posted by cperry View Post
    My CATS were wrapped in exhaust tape but not the manifolds, never had an issue with mine in the 2,000 miles I did in it. Certainly never saw 120 on the temp gauge (using an AK sourced rad and fan).
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Quote Originally Posted by AKCharlie View Post
    The Cats certainly get very hot so that is quite an easy job to wrap them. Did you get any smouldering from the tape at all?
    Only a very little bit on the first start up.

I used the metal clips and crimps designed for CV boots too, the clips you get with the wrapping kit are CRAP!

The small sump definitely won’t Be helping at all, a winged one will help.
    I’m running a standard Camaro sump plus a chunky radiator plus a 16” single fan - it’ll sit in a jam all day with the fan cutting in/out to keep things in check.

How big is your fan? Smaller ones push an awful lot less air.

Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast