Suspension Geometry

last weekend I bought an unfinished chassis for my next project, a Haynes Roadster.

I've set myself the unenviable task of creating a 4x4 version with a 2.8 V6 (Sierra XR4x4 donor).

Now there's going to be a lot of work to mount the front diff, shocks, steering rack, column and front prop shaft. At first glance they all want to be in the same place.

The front near side drive shaft actually goes through the sump on a Sierra with the front diff hanging off the drivers side of the engine, but on a Haynes Roadster the front wheel axis is front of the engine as it is with most of our Cobras.

So the question, are there any experts/book/websites out there talking about suspension/steering/drive shaft geometry?

I think I know that all the pivot points (wishbones/drive shafts/steering rack) all need to be on the same axis so it's all going to need home made brackets bearing and alot of fabrication. But why are the wishbones different lengths, surely it makes sense to have all the pivots a vertical axis?

Does this make sense to anyone or are these the ramblings of a mad man?
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

Upper arms usually shorter than lower arms to give you increasing neg camber as you go into bump - for 'handling'

Plenty of books on the subject. Not my field but this one is rated by the guys at work - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Competition.../dp/185960644X

hi Craig,
    Front suspension is probably the most difficult thing to do on any car. You have camber, caster, akerman angle, bump steer etc. Don't go into this half hearted - it's a lot of work and calculations. There's an Australian guy written a program to help with this - I think it's called 'susprog3d'. If I were you I would stick to the pick up points of whichever front suspension manufacturer you are going to use i.e. use the pickup points from the XR4x4 rather than try and make your own up.
    Good luck
    James
    James G
    Purple Dax / Ford 260/4 speed toploader all in need of TLC and cash but the dreams are there. Dream on - car now blue and finished, 4 years later....

James you have a PM.

Hi,
    I guess there is a lot of info available, but I find "Race and rally car source book"by Allan staniforth very usefull. https://www.amazon.com/Race-Rally-Ca.../dp/1859608469
    BRA 427. JE 3.9. Hard top. Old School.

James G (Fireball XL5) you have a PM.

Regards
    Geoff

Could you not use the complete front subframe from the donor with all the suspension, steering rack, hubs, brakes etc already mounted and set up a la the Sierra they came from. If the Sierra track is unsuitable some cutting and shutting on the subframe should sort it,. Then weld a mounting to the subrame on which to mount the front diff liberated from the drivers side of the engine. You will have a sump with a tube through it which used to be occuopied by the N/s driveshaft but it could either be left alone or plated.

Extend the front propshaft to the new front diff and jobs a good'un.

Cheers,

Tony
    Supply by blagging, engineering by bodge......

Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Could you not use the complete front subframe from the donor with all the suspension, steering rack, hubs, brakes etc already mounted and set up a la the Sierra they came from. If the Sierra track is unsuitable some cutting and shutting on the subframe should sort it,. Then weld a mounting to the subrame on which to mount the front diff liberated from the drivers side of the engine. You will have a sump with a tube through it which used to be occuopied by the N/s driveshaft but it could either be left alone or plated.

Extend the front propshaft to the new front diff and jobs a good'un.

Cheers,

Tony
    Some of that might work but surely a Sierra front suspension is on struts which kind of snookers a complete front clip transplant.

Quote Originally Posted by russell_ram2 View Post
    Some of that might work but surely a Sierra front suspension is on struts which kind of snookers a complete front clip transplant.
    On the limited number of these I’ve seen photos of they use push rod suspension with the shocks either side of the centre line or running the length of the car either side of the engine.