Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help with gearbox oil leak

Hi I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I've recently purchased a Sumo which has a Rover V8 with a Ford T9 gear box I have a bad oil leak from the input shift seal so I had the gearbox removed , seal and gasket were replaced but the leak is still as bad. I dont know much about these builds but is it possible the input shaft is not engaging in the spigot bearing ie too short? Or should the Bush have been replaced with a bearing? The garage I use is stumped on what to do next , can anybody help please?
    Thanks Neil.

Are you sure the gearbox is leaking from the input shaft and not from the selector shaft hole?

Yes its definitely from the input shaft . Just had the box fully reconditioned. Having put in 3 seals now the only thing we can conclude is that the end of the input shaft is not being carried correctly and is not running true causing the seal to be damaged within a few miles on each road test. Has anyone else had this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by NAC63 View Post
    a Rover V8 with a Ford T9 gear
    is it possible the input shaft is not engaging in the spigot bearing ie too short?
    Thanks Neil.
    You'd need to pull out the box again and investigate.
    Was the previous owner the builder ?

With that engine box combination it'll have an adaptor plate......Is it aligned properly.
    Does the crankshaft have the correct diameter bush for the Ford gearbox input shaft
    Does the gearbox input shaft insert fully into the bush.
    Any play in the gearbox input shaft?

Could the leak be from a worn crankshaft oil seal

Hi Thanks for the replies so far, I don't know anything regarding the build. Can I get a new spigot bush which fits both the v8 rover and the ford t9 or will I have to have one made special. Thanks.
    Last edited by NAC63; 30-07-20 at 09:12 AM.

Eurostang on youtube put this combination into his Capri if you want to look at how he did it. It's what I've got planned for my Sumo but I'm still rebuilding the V8 so I haven't even looked at the parts for the gearbox yet.
    Kittihawk: Pilgrim Sumo MK3 built '93/'94 with 2.1L Stage 2 Pinto and Ford Type 9 5-Speed Gearbox

Hi ,
    There are none of the standard off the shelf Rover V8 spigot bushes that work with the T9 gearbox, the input shaft diameter is different . When we have been asked to supply this combo , we use a Rover SD1 manual bush and line bore it to suit the T9 or T5 gearbox.

Regards
    Jim

Hi Jim, Thanks for that information. Could you supply me with a suitable bush ???
    Thanks
    Neil

Hi Neil ,

Yes, should be able to help . PM sent

Regards
    Jim

If the Type 9 has been mated in the usual way (i.e. a circular "polo mint" adapter plate on the back of a Borg Warner 35 automatic bellhousing) then it might be worth checking that the plate has been made properly, otherwise the input shaft will be under some lateral force from the spigot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast