Thread: LED headlights

LED headlights

Ive just ordered a set of LED Headlight units for the cob.

Now reading the blurb, I see they put out a lot of heat and are fan cooled.
    How is this going to work when the Headlight unit itself along with these LED units are seated inside the plastic headlight housing?.
    How is the heat to escape?
    MKIII Pilgrim Sumo. 3.5 Litre Rover V8 Towing an Eriba Puck Caravan

Are they going to sit inside the bowl? I thought they were much deeper needing the bowl to be chopped (might be wrong though)

Jim

Are you planning too do a lot of driving in the dark? I have found that uprated bulbs such as PIAA Night Tech http://www.piaa.co.uk/bulbs/bulbshow.asp?ID=nighttech are more than adequate. Not as bright as Xenon or LEDs, I have driven from both Donnington and Silverstone to Perthshire in the dark and didn't have any issues either on motorway or A/B roads.
    Cheers, Clive

(If I'm not here, I'm either in my new workshop or on the golf course!)

Hi Clive. Im going to be doing a lot of motoring in Southern France and Italy so dont realy know about night driving. But as the saying goes, I'd rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

And Jim I just dont know about fitting them yet. I'll make a post here on fitting them once I get started.

Hi Ken do a comparison with your original headlights?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Hi Clive. Im going to be doing a lot of motoring in Southern France and Italy so dont realy know about night driving. But as the saying goes, I'd rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

And Jim I just dont know about fitting them yet. I'll make a post here on fitting them once I get started.
    If you are going to be doing a lot of driving around France and Italy then definitely make sure you have good headlights. When I did this, it is quite disconcerting driving on the other side of the road when there are no white lines (or as good as) or cats eyes, especially if it's wet.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

If you’re interested in selling the ones you’re taking off, can I have first refusal please??

Quote Originally Posted by cperry View Post
    If you’re interested in selling the ones you’re taking off, can I have first refusal please??
    What? the bulbs? Ive only bought the fan cooled LED bulbs.lamps not the headlight assemblies.
    But I do have the old headlight units that were on before I put the P700's on.

Update.
    these were the ones I bought. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-80W-Pu...cAAOSwz~paDQqd

As mentioned they wont fit the plastic headlight bowl, the back of it would need to cut out to allow the rear fan section of the lamp to fit. Unfortunately this would leave the fan section of the light and the rest of the interior of the bowl to be open to spray and all sorts of muck from the front wheel which is only a foot or so away from the bowl.
    So I'll just fit some of the brighter H4 lamps mentioned elsewhere to give me some better night illumination and these LED units will go onto the regular car which they will fit.