Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Halfords battery conditioner fooked

Happy new year Gents and hope you all had a wonderful festive season.

As the title says, I have had a Halfords 12v/6v battery conditioner for a couple of years and today thankfully whilst I was in the garage I noticed a burning smell and traced it to the battery conditioner connected to my AK. On closer inspection it had started to melt in one corner so disconnected it and threw it outside to cool off (thank the stars I was in the garage, because it usually sits in the boot!!).

Whilst not being happy at this failing after only a couple of years, I am understandably nervous of purchasing another one of the same ilk and wondered if there is a particular tried and tested one out there that will be more reliable?

Many thanks.

Paul.
    Best anti speeding device - a rear view mirror with a police car in it.
    A pedestrian - someone who thought there was still a couple of gallons in the tank.
    AK Chassis and body collected 12.12.14

Hi I've been using a couple of Ctek mxs 5.0 for a couple of years, one connected most of the year on a boat with no issues. They have attachments for quick plug and lights on the connectors showing the state of change when it's not connected. Phil.

Following advice on here a few years ago I have a smoke alarm in the garage just in case something like this happens.
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by philbrad73 View Post
    Hi I've been using a couple of Ctek mxs 5.0 for a couple of years, one connected most of the year on a boat with no issues. They have attachments for quick plug and lights on the connectors showing the state of change when it's not connected. Phil.
    I’ve heard the Ctek has a good reputation. Do you need to disconnect the battery when charging? I’ve only used a conventional charger then I do disconnect.
    Dek

ctek mx5

I leave the battery in situ but turn the isolate switch to off ( like removing 1 lead )
    Just going out to smell the garage
    Jon W

As others have said, the CTEK chargers are 'the daddy' according to all the reviews etc. If you fancy a cheap alternative, Lidl have a charger as one of their 'specials' from 11th January. Price is 13.99. I've used the Aldi equivalent for a few years which looks same, albeit a different case. Mine has a maintenance charge facility on it so I suspect the Lidl one may have too. I haven't left the Cobra connected on the maintenance charge only because my garage isn't hooked up with mains power (unless I run an extension cable from the house).

I disconnect the negative lead from the battery and connect the charger direct to the battery terminals.

Russ.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    1984 DAX Cobra
    Rover 3.5 V8 with Holley carburetor.

Hi,
    yes CTEK for me too been using for about 4 years now, on more or less all the time and not once has it let me down, highly recommended,
    Gary.

Thanks for the advice guys, have ordered a CTEK conditioner.

I consider myself extremely lucky to have been in the garage at the time and averted........well Indread to think!

If you one of these:

Be be very vigilant and make sure it will not burn anything else should you experience the same fault.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Best anti speeding device - a rear view mirror with a police car in it.
    A pedestrian - someone who thought there was still a couple of gallons in the tank.
    AK Chassis and body collected 12.12.14

https://accumate.co.uk/cg040001.htm Very good maintainer/chargers. Have used them for years.
    2008 GD Euro Mk 4 427. LS2 with cam upgrade= lively

Hi Phil,

I have used Ctek for about 4 years and have only good things to say about them. I have one on a car most of the year and another on my Cobra which is connected and disconnected regularly.

When you purchase the unit it arrive with small croc clips and a pair of leads which can be bolted onto the battery and then the unit can simply be plugged in via a single connection. The extra money is well worth it.

Cheers, Jon
    Jon LR

Magnum with Ford 302ci & 4 speed Toploader

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast