Thread: Bonnet screws

Bonnet screws

Hi Guys

Part way thro my GD build and the chassis is ready just I'm just finishing some of the body work before I put it outside the garage to make room for the chassis.

ive fitted the bonnet scoop with screws which was fairly easy to layout but I'm not sure whether to do the screws around the side and front of the bonnet itself.

if I do go ahead does anyone know the recommended spacing between screws and the gap from the bonnet edge etc also I don't know how far up the sides I should go?

cheers Howard

Hi Howard

If you mean as per the original car, there was more than one pattern. It was done locally to stop the hood peeling away from the frame during races so there isn't a factory standard.

However folks have looked at original cars and done some measurements on the most common patterns. Google "12-1-12" or "15-1-15 hood rivet patterns" and under images it's easy to find spacing diagrams. The numbers refer to the number of rivets up each side, with the 1 being the front central rivet.
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Thank you Lloyd

ive used socket head button flange bolts on the scoop switch I like the look of, but if I use them on the bonnet edge I'll need to move them closer to the edge because of the ridge underneath

i might leave then then for now and look at it again when it's finished always need a little project after finishing or there won't be anything to do bar driving and polishing it

As Lloyd said there's more thane option but here's a starter for ten.

http://www.erareplicas.com/427man/body/hood.htm
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible