Making up a universal throttle cable (not quite Dax specific..)

So although this is for my Dax, I figure the throttle cable assembly is very similar across the board, so.. I'd post it here

Anyway - I bought a Venhill universal car throttle cable kit as I remember reading they were a preferred option (quality wise) and now I have a bewildering array of bits and bobs that I can figure out are ferrules, adjusters and nipples (fnarr) but .. I have no clue where everything is meant to go! But I'd quite like to get it installed (at least the pedal end) before the engine is in, as access is muuuch better right now.

So, what I have is this little lot:

I was going to screw the quick-release style cable connections into the pedal arm or use a clevis for attachment rather than cross-drill the arm and use a barrel nipple - either way there is bugger all meat around the connection (~11mm arm, 5.5mm nipple or M6 stud!) but.. am I right in thinking that I should:

Fit an adjuster (largest) on the cable outer (they're just a loose sloppy push fit on the outer?) and then secure that to the top of the footbox (nut on each side) and then similar at the carb end, and then the natural tension will keep the cable outer in place in the adjusters (along with the shrink tube supplied)? Obviously the inner is then between the throttle arm on the carb and the arm on the pedal..

Not sure I'm a giant fan of the solderless nipples, but that's by the by I guess.. my over-engineering brain thinks the adjuster being bolted to the top of the footbox seems awfully weak and floppy by way of attachment, but maybe I'm over-thinking it.

Google as I might, I haven't found pictures of anyone elses throttle cable beside a close up of a pedal (GD) and close up of a carb, and the Venhill kit comes with a bewildering array of ferrules (do I even need those? They don't appear to fit 'inside' the large end of the adjusters), adjusters and nipples...

Yours,
    Confused of Northampton
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

So nobody has posted to say "You idiot, you do it like this!" .. so I'm going to assume I'm close to correct and try to get the pedal box in this weekend.
    My DeDion build diary..

Could have got everything you needed from your local bike shop......
    Happy to help
    2003 Dave Brookes Dax 350ci Chevy SB.
    2008 Crendon 462ci Ford Sideoiler FE Chassis No.43
    2012 Crendon 351ci Ford Cleveland Chassis No.24
    2014 Crendon 452ci Ford FE Chassis No.66 (in progress)

Not sure about the DAX setup Aaron, but that's pretty similar to what i've used on my AK, They use a longer bike gear cable that's all.

Alan.
    AK Gen II delivery date Oct '15
    GM Vortec LQ4 364ci
    Tremec T56 Terminator.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil O View Post
    Could have got everything you needed from your local bike shop......
    Happy to help
    Thanks Neil

And thanks Alan - seems like it should be straightforward, then!
    My DeDion build diary..

Crendon set up is really simple.
    The pedal arm has a hole in it, so the nipple end goes there. Cable goes up through top of foot well via a smoothed out ferrule.
    The cable sleeve runs from the other side of the foot well ferrule to the adjuster ferrule on the throttle cable bracket.
    Then the cable is attached to the carb via a small clamp screw and a link (to give free movement/rotation).
    I like the simplicity and the fact that you can carry a complete set of replacement parts in your tool kit.

Of course you could go the whole hog and install a solid link system......

My Contemporary had a solid link system, it looked and worked really well.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible

Thanks Neil - your description seems to confirm my plan (ferrule bolts to footwell top, other end of cable .. well, that will flail around in the empty engine bay for now).

I'd love to go for a solid link system but right now I am working on the "I'll never get this done at this rate" plan, so I'm keeping it simple Nothing to say I can't upgrade later on, after all..
    My DeDion build diary..

I looked at going for a solid link system on this Crendon but decided it was too much of a fag about to bother with at this stage.
    I'll save it for a winter project in the future.....