Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AK Gen 3 engines

Hi,
    When I ordered my AK Gen 3 kit I specified it for a ford 302 engine, I've just finished pricing up all the bits for my "dream" 347 stroker on the summit web site and the price is eye water to say the least, a LS3 for Road Craft is looking like a much better deal right now. Can anyone tell me what changes would need to be made to the chassis to use an LS3 instead?

Regards
    Russell

I know AK do iron block Chevy to ls3 adapters using the iron block mounts. Not sure if this is possible for the ford mounts as they are totally different.

My guess would be the ford mounts need cutting off and the ls3 mounts welding on.

That doesn't sound too bad, I was worried there would be more complicated chassis changes needed. I shall give this some more thought.

Thanks
    R.

Hi Russell, speak to Jon at AK,depending on how complete the chassis is and if your body is on, you could put the chassis sideways in a sprinter van, book it in and be there and back in a day.

Jon will have the jig in place for the height of the mounts etc. If you're confident and competent a visit to any member who has the set up you want so you can measure and weld it yourself is easy enough, just get Jon to sell you the mounts for the chassis and the mounts for your engine of choice.

Lee
    .............never drive faster than your guardian angel.

cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

Jon at AK was very helpful and supplied my chassis with bolt in Chevy mounts rather than welded as I've fitted a Pontiac but still have an option to retro fit a Chevy if the mood takes me
    So maybe bolted in mounts might be your best approach

If you're keen on ford, Summit do a complete Coyote/tremec package with ECU etc for a similar price to the Chevy trans package, but you'd be paying import and tax on top and I think it was about £600 for the air freight to the nearest airport, so you can collect it your self.
    I ended up getting Brian at roadcraft to order any larger extra items in for me as he's often got better deals and space in his next container so defo worth a look there - plus he's always a great help.

Hi All,
    Thanks for the replies, I've given it some thought and i've decided to go with building a 347 stroker - just pressed the button on the bottom end bits

cheers
    Russell

Nice..........
    .............never drive faster than your guardian angel.

cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

Quote Originally Posted by alexharris1981 View Post
    If you're keen on ford, Summit do a complete Coyote/tremec package with ECU etc for a similar price to the Chevy trans package, but you'd be paying import and tax on top and I think it was about £600 for the air freight to the nearest airport, so you can collect it your self.
    I ended up getting Brian at roadcraft to order any larger extra items in for me as he's often got better deals and space in his next container so defo worth a look there - plus he's always a great help.
    Isn't the Coyote engine too tall for most cobras?
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by RussellGower View Post
    Hi,
    When I ordered my AK Gen 3 kit I specified it for a ford 302 engine, I've just finished pricing up all the bits for my "dream" 347 stroker on the summit web site and the price is eye water to say the least, a LS3 for Road Craft is looking like a much better deal right now. Can anyone tell me what changes would need to be made to the chassis to use an LS3 instead?

Regards
    Russell
    Why not look at other engines, and re-built in the UK?
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast