Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RAM Sagging front end fix

Does anyone know how to fix a front end sag on my 427 S/C? When looking at the front end the driver's side looks slightly lower than the near side, making the front spoiler in the grille opening look slanted to one side.

Have you checked that the adjustable plate on the shock absorbers is at the same height on each of the front and all the rear shocks. Also check for broken springs. No idea how the body is secured to the chassis on a Ram but check all the mounting points are secured properly. Can't think of anything else really.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Hi Martin,
    Thank you for your thoughts, I've checked these already. The front end has no support, hence my question. I may have to make my own method for supporting the body from the radiator frame.
    Cheers
    Ian

The front end is supported by the four studs that attach the over-riders. Check the ride height under the front cross-member so see if the chassis is sitting level.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Hi Myles,
    Thank you for your response to my question. It looks like I don't have the original rubber sleeves over the over-rider mounting studs, so it seems you could be on the right track.
    All the best
    Ian

Those mounts are essential; as you noticed - there is no other support. They were made up simply by sliding some heavy rubber hose over pieces of steel pipe.

I always suspected that this method would give stress and make the body crack around the holes but after 25 years there is no sign of that happening so I guess it works.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Ian,

Assume you saw my responses in your duplicate thread

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59403

I also had the Finish Line rubbers but didn't want to rely on those to provide the main body support - they're very soft and the body will cut through them eventually.

Russ

The original rubber hoses were heavy duty, not steel reinforced hydraulic but the next thing down, the sort of thing you'd use for a vacuum hose.

Can't argue about the about the bonnet hinge geometry, it's a shocker and on my to-do list (still). The skids under the front are good idea; that front is SO low.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

I used these, OE style finish line grommets but for fibreglass panel thickness, for the bumper mount pass throughs - they're very soft and don't support the body work well. Prefer the more 'permanent' and solid mounting of bolting the body to the front subframe assy than relying on 'resting' on rubber tube on the bumper mounts. Second pic is pads above bonnet hinges - hinge pivot point relocated in front of cross tube - geometry now works.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is what I did to my ram

1. Re-welded the front subframe so the overrides studs were horizontal.
    2. Got some thin walled stainless tubing to slide over the over rider mounting studs. Think it was 1 mm wall 12mm ID
    3. Machined up 4 Ali bars about 1.25" diameter 3 " long, angled one end to suit the profile of the body, machined a hole up the middle to take the OD of the tubing, and fitted it to the 4 sleeved mounting studs. OD of the bars were knurled.
    4. Fitted the over rider studs, sleeves and bars to the car.
    5. I fibre glassed the bars to the inside of the body.

Been there nearly 20 yrs without issue.
    Roger

RamSC 351 Cleveland

on the road 20 years- nearly finished

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast