Scratch build suspension choices

Hi,

I have a pet project on the go at the moment and I am at the stage of choosing a front suspension source.

The theme of the car is to go light weight and i have already schemed jaguar XJ8R rear wishbones and uprights with custom pin drive hubs.
    The next decision is what way to go with front suspension.

I would lean towards forged Alloy wishbones like the rear rather than manufacturing tubular stuff. Something that is subframe mounted that would allow the relative geometry to be copied would be good.

So what ideas have you?

Andy.
    A S motorsport Ltd. 01379 688356 mob; 07909531816 web; asmotorsport.co.uk email \"andrewsoar@yahoo.com\"

Hi Andy,
    I guess various BMW's fit the bill here, with McPherson struts and sub-frame mounted.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible

Thanks, I will have a look at those but I was sort of avoiding mc pherson stuff in favour of a more traditional type of upright.

Any other ideas?

Andy
    A S motorsport Ltd. 01379 688356 mob; 07909531816 web; asmotorsport.co.uk email \"andrewsoar@yahoo.com\"

Hi,

My further research has thrown up Mazda RX stuff as well as the ubiquitous corvette.

I will check out the mustang stuff but both that and the corvette bits are a bit thin on the ground over here.

Andy.

Ps Steve, the Corsa column sort of fell,into a natural position within my framework but I have a dodgy top bearing to sort out.

If the objective is to avoid making tubular suspension upper and lower arms, what about buying them as an option? Off a Caterham or something like that perhaps?

Tubular arms have the bonus of being very easy to modify for length with threaded inner pivots, giving you the ability to get all your geometry correct, bump steer, KPI etc. I guess that still leaves you making a subframe or your own mounting points but that does also give you complete control of track width? An existing subframe could be quite restrictive in that sense? Just some random ideas
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

It is not a problem to make the tubular arms as we do that anyway for the DBR stuff. Although that is all rose jointed and I was after a little more compliance with this one.
    I was just thinking along the lines of neat donor forged alloy stuff to complement the rear setup. Particularly the uprights for weight saving.
    I do have a couple of xj6 fronts available here but that is quite hefty stuff compared to tubular or Alloy.
    Possibly there are too many choices.
    I wasn’t planning to use the subframe but rather use it for reference for the relative positions of the pickup points. This is how I set the front on my existing 289 using MGB stuff.
    The XK8 rear I have used is about sixteen inches narrower overall that the stock width. Most of that was due to the increased wheel offset. Mind you, that is squeezing eight inch rims within standard 289 bodywork.

A

Quote Originally Posted by dinosoar View Post

Ps Steve, the Corsa column sort of fell,into a natural position within my framework but I have a dodgy top bearing to sort out.
    How about Mazda MX5? https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/

Yup, saw the Corsa column. Looks just right. What's up with the top bearing? I have a Corsa B Haynes manual here.
    Steve Brown

CRC Regional Rep - East Anglia

Hi Steve,

I did look into mx5 stuff a little while back but didn’t bring up any Alloy bits then. However, since searching out the mazda Rx bits and your post here I looked again.
    It seems the later models have Alloy wishbones and upright carrying a steel bearing hub bolted on.
    This looks like it is worth a go and I found some reasonably priced bit from a breaker. So order made.
    I will see how they fir into things. The main plus point with this is it is a front steering rack which will make life much easier with the column route. The jag/Dax rack position would be neatly tucked behind the front of the German mill...

A