Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AK Rear Brake Calipers Inboards

Hi All

I need to remove the stuck Calipers on my AK with inboard Jag Brakes.

Whats the best way to do this ? I didnt build the car so unfortunately do not have the benefit of remembering how it went together.

The consensus with regards to Jags is that the easiest route is to remove the subframe, which i am happy to do , but is this even possible on an AK ie where would i find access to the bolts ? to be honest i have not looked that indepth yet but pretty sure there was no clear access from the inspection panel that is there to replace pads etc.

Any advice / tips are much appreciated.

I don't know about your car but many builders create an access panel in the rear bulkhead above the diff. This is to give access to the rear inboard brakes etc.
    You would have to take a look to see if yours has one or not?
    If not it may be easier to drop the whole rear end complete with the diff, driveshafts, rear hub etc.
    Disconnect the rear shocks, disconnect your rear brake hoses, support the diff on a jack, unbolt the diff from the chassis and lower it all down.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible

I have just done this again with the aid of an access panel, but I could not get to the bottom caliper bolt, so I took the diff out. You can however just remove the fulcrum shafts and the spacer tubes to get to the bottom bolts. The fuel tank will have to come out first though. The good news is I won't have to do it again, as I will have outboard brakes.

Paul
    AK, on the road Oct 2012

Thanks Guys, Yes Kev i have an access panel but do not think there is enough room to get to Caliper off as Paul mentions. Might need to follow that route although sounds like a pain to do . and didn't even think about the fuel tank ! ... Going to have a proper look tomorrow

Paul how come you have outboard now ? did you have to replace the whole axle or can they be converted ?

Quote Originally Posted by akdeano View Post
    Thanks Guys, Yes Kev i have an access panel but do not think there is enough room to get to Caliper off as Paul mentions. Might need to follow that route although sounds like a pain to do . and didn't even think about the fuel tank ! ... Going to have a proper look tomorrow

Paul how come you have outboard now ? did you have to replace the whole axle or can they be converted ?
    The reason for going outboard for me is really because of the problem you are having and also the handbrake is rubbish. I am also putting an electric handbrake on and everything will be easy to service. Different hubs and driveshafts are needed but the diff and bottom wishbones stay in place and a remodel of brake lines.

Paul
    AK, on the road Oct 2012

Quote Originally Posted by seph View Post
    The reason for going outboard for me is really because of the problem you are having and also the handbrake is rubbish. I am also putting an electric handbrake on and everything will be easy to service. Different hubs and driveshafts are needed but the diff and bottom wishbones stay in place and a remodel of brake lines.

Paul
    That sounds like a good idea , are you the first to do this or is this a common modification ? I am quite interested in that now .. you make it sound easy

I know they had electric handbrake on the Stype did they have it on the later XJ too ? Must admit my Dad had a couple of Stypes and now Vauxhall with electric brake and i have never been a big fan of it, i know one of his Stypes which was one of the first to have it, had to have the system replaced but luckily was all done under warranty.
    but i am also not a fan of the existing Jag ( is it on or is it off ) handbrake. so agree it will definitely be an improvement.

Thanks
    Dean

That sounds like a good idea , are you the first to do this or is this a common modification ? I am quite interested in that now .. you make it sound easy

I know they had electric handbrake on the Stype did they have it on the later XJ too ? Must admit my Dad had a couple of Stypes and now Vauxhall with electric brake and i have never been a big fan of it, i know one of his Stypes which was one of the first to have it, had to have the system replaced but luckily was all done under warranty.
    but i am also not a fan of the existing Jag ( is it on or is it off ) handbrake. so agree it will definitely be an improvement.

Thanks
    Dean
    I am not the first to do an outboard brake conversion on an IRS rear end, but I am the first to do the conversion and install an electric handbrake on gen 1 AK. I wouldn't say it has been too difficult to get to where I am but it has been a lot of trial and error sorting the mounting of the handbrake actuator. Got a bit of painting to do and the I can start putting it all together

Paul
    AK, on the road Oct 2012

Quote Originally Posted by seph View Post
    I am not the first to do an outboard brake conversion on an IRS rear end, but I am the first to do the conversion and install an electric handbrake on gen 1 AK. I wouldn't say it has been too difficult to get to where I am but it has been a lot of trial and error sorting the mounting of the handbrake actuator. Got a bit of painting to do and the I can start putting it all together

Paul
    Sounds like you've got it all under control , but good luck with it anyway. i am going to do a bit more research into converting the rear end to outboard

The older style XJ6 XJS bottom arms have a different size bolt for the hub.
    Best to use the correct bottom arms as well.

As it happens I have a spare set here

Thanks
    Dean
    Quote Originally Posted by drammyboy View Post
    The older style XJ6 XJS bottom arms have a different size bolt for the hub.
    Best to use the correct bottom arms as well.

As it happens I have a spare set here
    Then they need shortening, a bush each end sorts that out

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast