Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

How many self build kits are currently under construction ?

I just wondered if we could get an idea of the number of Kits under construction at the moment.?
    The Proposed changes to Emissions testing for IVA & MOT will obviously have the greatest immediate impact on people who are "still building" & may be unable to complete before the deadline.
    It would be good to try to get an estimate of the numbers of builders, so we can try to put a figure on it.
    If the number were 50 ? & the cost of buying a new Compliant engine & doing the Mods were £10k, that would be £500,000
    It might add weight to any argument we put forward, if we can quantify costs, as they have in the proposed document, for HGV's & the bus fleet.
    There are probably about 50 to 100 kits per year, sold by the major manufactures (this needs qualifying).
    if the average build time were just 2 years, then the kits under construction would be 100 to 200 !!! that could mean up to £2 million
    Rowly

Wisdom is the careful management of Knowledge.

Sumo 1. Mk3 , 350 SBC. Now Sold.
    Hardtop For Pilgrim Sumo, Now Sold.
    Sumo 2. Now ready for Paint. MK3(B) Chassis, SBC Stroker.(not for sale)

You can put mine on the list.
    AK Gen 1. Rover V8 4.6 efi.

I'm nearly done, about six months to IVA! However I don't think I will be affected by the changes. It will be efi and with built in cats. This should get me through.
    Plus there is always the 'special mapping' (a la VW) if needed.

Sceptic

Quote Originally Posted by Rowly View Post
    that could mean up to £2 million
    Don't tell them that, they'll be rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of another £300,000 of VAT due to the exchequer..

[edit] I'm on the list of "in build" too, and unlikely to complete before 01/01/19 short of borrowing a significant chunk of money.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

I really don't understand the mass hysteria that's going about with this new legislation, talk about snowflakes! As has been said several times on previous threads it will only take the fitting of a couple of cats and some time jetting the carb to get through the test. No need to spend £10k on a new engine, at the worse it's £1k for a single carb style throttle body and ecu!

I have to agree with Tony here.
    Don't panic all you Mr Mainwearings out there.
    A pain yes, but not the end of the world.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible

For us, maybe.. but what about the Chesil Speedsters of the world? I suppose there's always Impreza lumps but that's not quite the same (and where do you hide the radiator) or air cooled Porsche engines that might squeak through (if you have a lot of cash lying around)..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

I understand what your saying Tony BUT some/lots of builders probably have there side pipes already and don't have an option to bung cats in. Anyway although this fix works it's not very professional. To me there are only 4 options.

1, Work like stink and get your car ready for the IVA before end of year ( falure will give you six months extra)
    2, Fit EFI and install permanent Cats. (will then pass all future mot tests.
    3, fit LS engine.
    4, Fudge the test with smaller jets, air bleed valve and temp cats.

Jon AK

Here at AK we have 134 people currently in build. without going into each file i'm not sure how many are LS and how many are old school.
    I would say 50/50 split.

Jon AK

Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post
    I really don't understand the mass hysteria that's going about with this new legislation, talk about snowflakes! As has been said several times on previous threads it will only take the fitting of a couple of cats and some time jetting the carb to get through the test. No need to spend £10k on a new engine, at the worse it's £1k for a single carb style throttle body and ecu!
    Sounds ok in theory, Tony. But in practice, a bit different. I don't mind chucking another Grand at the project if I have to. but after having spent months lining the engine bay with stainless steel & header/collector covers. then there is the wiring loom changes, etc etc. The problem is changing the rules DURING a build. My time gets more valuable as I get older. I remember it took me more than 2 years to get my Headers & side pipes sorted out, as the supplier went out of business,
    Its Ok for those who are already on the road, & a bit of a nuisance for those about to start, which is where your comment will be really helpful.
    I was hoping to get more support in trying to stop or modify the proposed changes, even from people not directly affected by these changes.
    Then, after we have tried to get them to change their mind, we will have to wait for the outcome & deal with whatever has to be done.
    I might have to come back to you for a bit of advice on EFIs & Cats.
    Rowly

Wisdom is the careful management of Knowledge.

Sumo 1. Mk3 , 350 SBC. Now Sold.
    Hardtop For Pilgrim Sumo, Now Sold.
    Sumo 2. Now ready for Paint. MK3(B) Chassis, SBC Stroker.(not for sale)

I am around half way through my build.Just got body on rolling chassis.Another 1000 pounds is a lot of money for me.I would like to get finished before I am too old to get insurance.I fully support your view Rowly

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast