Thread: Engine Crane

Engine Crane

Does a standard engine crane have a long enough reach to drop a Chevy 350 into a cobra from the front. The one I borrowed to take the engine out was a really old style one and it was about six inches too shoer. Ok to remove engine as it just swang back but no good putting it back in.

The one I used was too short and I had to remove it from the side.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

It's fairly easy to extend the boom and the legs by inserting lengths of box section. Doing this, and with the use of a balance bar to adjust the angle, I was able to install the engine into my Dax De Dion from the front.
    Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)
    Dax 427 DeDion - Huddart SBC 383

Mine is too short, remedied it by buying a longer piece of box section to extend it, just make sure you get a piece long enough to go all the way to the back of the section it slides in when extended, obviously using it like that will negate the warranty but it should be fine for the weight lifted

A good point, which I should have mentioned too! A short extension will put all the stress on the last part of the boom rather than the entire length. Note that when loaded up this will move the centre of gravity forward, so you also need to extend the legs to prevent toppling. Even then, I recommend a second person to assist if it starts to tilt forward, which is quite easy to do if operating on a rough rather than a smooth surface as you roll it forward. Also, that will make the base of the crane wider so I fitted spacesaver wheels to the front of the car to gain some extra wiggle room for the crane legs.
    Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)
    Dax 427 DeDion - Huddart SBC 383

Thanks all. They do cranes with extended reach so that may be the way to go.

Must admit, id not buy an engine crane again. PITA. Never enough reach or lift, plus the legs always seem to be where the axle stands are or where you need to get underneath the car.

If I was starting over with buying an engine removal thing, I'd consider instead some form of bolt together gantry on castors or a beam in the roof with a sliding winch.
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

I totally agree Lloyd however as we are selling the house and I need to get the car back on the road ASAP I just need a quick fix. The place we are hoping to buy has a triple garage to would put an hoist in on rails

not sure if these guys have an engine crane that's suitable or not? good service when i've purchased stuff from them in the past

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gara.../engine-cranes

Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.