Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lexus 1UZ-FE with autobox - manual shift option?

Hi,

In the never ending search for "things to do" I am currently considering replacing the 3.9L EFI Rover V8 and Cosworth T5 with a Lexus 1UZ-FE complete with the autobox. Before anyone throws up their hands in horror I will only be doing this if I can modify the autobox to use a manual paddle shift.

I am familiar with the various threads on this forum, by members who have fitted the Lexus engine, but I believe that most (all?) have ditched the autobox for a conventional manual gearbox conversion.

So the question is has anyone kept the autobox and adapted it with a manual shift system and, if so, how?

Regards,
    Ian
    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor

hi ian,
    to be honest having driven the lexus ls400 my engine came from, some 60 miles to get it home and the 'ragging it' done by the guy selling it in the demo ,they run so sweet in auto form i'd be loathed to change it..!
    when you've got your '' boot in '' they rev way higher than you'd think ,and change when you think its about time to also... so as they say ' if its not broke why fix it ' lol
    there' a sports button by the shifter and an in- out button too for the overdrive so that just about covers all you'd want out of it really....
    hope this helps
    neil

Neil,

All very logical and sensible and I understand what you say & mean but . . . . since when has logic had anything to do with kit cars. Basically I like a challenge especially when the end result is something I have always aspired to.

So I am still looking for guidance on adapting the autobox to allow a manual gear change.

Thanks for the response,
    Ian

Hi Ian,

I looked into this some time ago although I was comming at it from a slightly different angle to you but the learning experience would be the same.

My approach was to install more of a tiptronic type system with a paddle. The auto box, (an E341 version, I think) has electronic switching for forward gears. However it also requires a manual shift for reverse and neutral. This part of the box has no electronic solenoids.

Basically it's a hybrid. Electronic for forward gears to optimise fuel consumption and change poin to prolong gearbox life etc. and manual mechanisms for reverse and neutral.

In the end, having designed the electronic switching circuit to perform the task for forward gear control, I've decided to keep it as standard. It is a nippy unit and someone once pointed out to me that dragster tend to be automatic anyway. Having used it for some time now, I'm inclined to keep it as standard because I see no benefit to change to manual.

It's all personal choice as we know.

Alun (?),

Thank you for the response, I don't think we are that far apart. I was not planning to do away with the auto shift but to find away to switch the auto change off and make the changes (for the forward gears) using a paddle shift. The standard auto shift would be required to select drive or reverse so would remain in place.

Would it be possible for you to let me see the design for the electronic switching circuit that you came up with as it would certainly help me in my quest.

Best regards,
    Ian

As Alun has said it can be done and there was a guy on the Lextreme forum who had put together a conversion kit and sold a few of them. Might be worth doing a search on Lextreme to see if he has any left.

Cheers,

Tony
    Supply by blagging, engineering by bodge......

Tony,

Many thanks for responding and appreciate the information.

I have been trawling through the various engine and drive train sites, including Lextreme, and had seen the conversion kit. There are also a number of sites in the US that have conversion kits available. Unfortunately the raw information of how to do it is less obtainable and I was ideally looking to do it myself. This is partly for budgetary reasons but mainly because I get a great deal of satisfaction from the process - probably a bit of masochism there some where!

I will keep searching but if you, or anybody, has any pointers as to where to find the information required for the conversion to implement a manual change feature it would be hugely appreciated.

On a secondary point have you any advice on where to buy the engine & autobox and what ancillaries / accessories I should ensure are included. I wish I had bought the 1UZ-FE when I was first thinking of the move as the prices have definitely, as you and others warned, started creeping up!!

Thanks again,
    Ian

Why not upgrade your rover engine to 4.8 or even 5.0 litres?

Tony,

Yes, that was one of the options I considered. I enjoyed stripping & rebuilding the Rover engine and it goes very well but I would not be comfortable trying to wring more power out of it.

The attraction of the 1UZ-FE is the strength of the basic engine and its ability to rev to 7,000 rpm, or even more, things that are sadly lacking in the venerable Rover V8. The longer term aim would be to fit a supercharger to the Lexus engine to give serious power for not too much money.

From what I understand of the automatic gearbox (A341E) the selection of the forward gears is by solenoids which can, presumably, be energised remotely. If I can achieve this then using the autobox will become viable and save the expense of adapting the engine to a manual gearbox which would involve flywheel, clutch, adapter plate etc etc.

So if any one can help with the adaption of the A341E to work with external forward gear selection it would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    Ian

Ian,

Basically you need to know what solonoids are energised in what combinations to get each of the three gears and then overdrive lockup.

I think that info is in the official Toyota workshop manual and I do also believe I have a copy with that info therein.

Drop me a pm with your email addy and I'll scan a copy of the relevant page, once I find it, and send it to you.

Re getting a 1UZFE their increasing popularity is making them a bit rarer so you may need to buy a running car, either a LS400 or a V8 Soarer. The later VVTi engines have anti theft , so you will need the key, the ignition barrel RF antenna, and the loom behind the dashboard to get it to work with the ECU. Or alternatively theres a guy in Russia that will wipe the antitheft from the ecu. Its also got weaker rods so if going down the supercharger route I'd get an older non VVTI engine.

hth,

Cheers,

Tony
    Supply by blagging, engineering by bodge......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast