Ak Getrag Adapter

Hi,

I have a getrag 265 gearbox fitted with a AK adpater currently mated to a Ford 302.

I am considering changing the build to a Chevy 350 rather than the Ford 302, can I use the same AK adapter to mate up to the Chevy bellhousing? Does it work for both ford & Chevy bellhousings or are they different adapters?

Assume I can use the same clutch plate just different pressure plate to suit a Chevy flywheel?

Mike

I doubt it as the bolt pattern on the Chevy will be completely different.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible FOR SALE
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring

Quote Originally Posted by Coxmi2 View Post
    Hi,

I have a getrag 265 gearbox fitted with a AK adpater currently mated to a Ford 302.

I am considering changing the build to a Chevy 350 rather than the Ford 302, can I use the same AK adapter to mate up to the Chevy bellhousing? Does it work for both ford & Chevy bellhousings or are they different adapters?

Assume I can use the same clutch plate just different pressure plate to suit a Chevy flywheel?

Mike
    Why change ? as well as the adapter being different you will also have to alter the engine mounts !!
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Think the 302 will need a rebuild, I bought a unfinished project (Pilgrim Sumo Mk3) which is at the rolling chassis stage.

I have a newly rebuilt 350 already with some corvette aluminium heads that I could use. The engine mounts are not a big deal to swap over at this stage.

The original engine was just cleaned up & bolted in by the guy who started the project in so its condition is a bit of an unknown for me.

Personally i would stick with the 302 (rebuilt), and you can easyly buy a cheep suitable direct bolt on gearbox, bearing in mind you could get a fair wedge for the Chevy Bellhousing adapter & Getrag box (assuming you have this as well), you will definately need a new adapter and bell housing for the ford option though, Btw, yes just new clutch plate needed for the chevy option, Chrysler 11" 23 spline IIRC and modded (sleeved) throwout bearing & a "custom" pilot bearing. If you decide to sell getrag box, i would be interested in a spare box for mine before i go too medevil on mine! Lol

I don't understand why you would want to replace a Ford engine with a Chevy? You could use both the driven plate AND the cover plate, but the chevy flywheel would need drilling and tapping to suit the cover plate. It would need to be perfectly concentric though. You could make your own adaptor plate, you just need to accurately find the centre of the chevy bellhousing, assuming the chevy bellhousing is the same length as the ford one. You need to keep the length the same, so the nose of the gearbox shaft centres in the spigot bearing in the end of the crankshaft. Mick