Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Offenhauser rocker covers

Hi all is anyone out there running with Offenhauser valve covers on a rover v8 with any success I’ve herd they fit with no adapter plate .?

many thanks Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Youngy View Post
    Hi all is anyone out there running with Offenhauser valve covers on a rover v8 with any success I’ve herd they fit with no adapter plate .?

many thanks Ian
    Hi Ian,

I'm not sure which Offenhauser valve covers you have and therefore what bolt pattern they have to attach them to the heads. I have Ford 289 'Cobra' type covers which bolt down on top an adapter ring/plate using 6-bolts per cover. The adapter plate is fixed to the Rover head with 4 countersunk bolts per head. If the Offenhauser covers you have are the same bolt pattern then you may be able to use the same adapter plate.
    Contact Jim (JRV as he may be able to supply what you're after. http://www.jrv8.co.uk/parts/

Russ.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    1984 DAX Cobra
    Rover 3.5 V8 with Holley carburetor.

Hi Russ I’ve not got them yet ,I already have adapter plates with Edelbrock covers but seem to always have a leak so it turns out that Offenhauser do a set for a Buick 215 which is the same as the rover v8 , I’m talking to a guy in the states at the min Offenhauser 5189 fit so just trying to locate a set

cheers ian

Hi Russ I’ve not got them yet ,I already have adapter plates with Edelbrock covers but seem to always have a leak so it turns out that Offenhauser do a set for a Buick 215 which is the same as the rover v8 , I’m talking to a guy in the states at the min Offenhauser 5189 fit so just trying to locate a set

cheers ian
    Yes, my adapter plates are a bit leaky too.
    Looking at these Offenhauser 5189s online, it looks like they are a direct replacement for the Rover covers. No adapters required from what I can make out. Good luck with your search and look forward to seeing them fitted sometime in the future.

Russ.
    1984 DAX Cobra

Hi Ian,

I have the cobra lettered rocker covers using adaptor plates. I use a cork gasket above and below the adaptor plate to get a good seal.

Regards,
    Paul

Hi Paul yes maybe that’s the answer I’ve got a gasket above the adapter a Chevy one but I’ve just been using gasket seal below ! So your saying use one below the plate , this would be a rover one ?
    sounds like it worth a go these Offenhauser covers are the best part of 300 quid plus shipping

cheers Ian

I use cork gaskets top and bottom, rover one on the bottom, not had a leak yet, ignore all the untidy hoses and wires, it is only a test stand
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice job a lot going on there !! I have that air cleaner and just changed the element for K&N and engine runs so much better, well worth the extra money ....
    Back to valve covers , Cork over rubber is there a reason for that

cheers Ian

Not really, I'm just old and I know from experience they work,

cheers Roger

Nice job a lot going on there !! I have that air cleaner and just changed the element for K&N and engine runs so much better, well worth the extra money ....
    Back to valve covers , Cork over rubber is there a reason for that

cheers Ian
    I've tried putting the rubber Rover gaskets under the adapter plates. They're too flexible and just squeeze out.

Russ.
    1984 DAX Cobra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast