Wiper assembly fitting questions

A quick question - I bought the complete wiper setup (except for wiper blades) from Dax and I've figured out that I need to shorten the wiper arms (although I'll be damned if I can get them apart .. must have weak fingers!) by reading Ant's blog, and that I'll need to bend the arms a little to get a nice flat parking position; but, I'm wondering: Has anyone else had to shorten the spacer tubes (the ones that go between the 'wheel' end and the underside of the scuttle) at all?

With my spacer tubes on, there isn't enough length to get the rubber gasket on and the chrome top and actually get the nut started. If the gasket is left off there is just enough thread - I'm assuming because they're designed for steel bodied cars (like the Mini)?

They also don't seem to be at quite the right angle, but I wonder if the rubber gasket will accommodate that?

Also the wiper blades I got don't seem to be 'wide' enough to actually fit the Dax arms .. maybe I have the wrong blades, or wrong arms, hmm..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

I had exactly the same problem with the angle being incorrect. I got round it by grinding the bezel down to the correct angle then it all fitted together nicely. Somewhat appropriately I used an angle grinder and got a good, clean finish!

Hi Aaron, I had to fiddle about a bit with the length of the spacers and their angle, plus the angle of the aperture through the body to get a good fit. The gasket takes up any minor inaccuracies against the body work and allow for an interference fit, so worth incorporating.

One of my wipers came apart easily, the other was very, very tight! Do watch your hands as part of the fitting is like a razor blade, as I found out! All a standard part of kit car building eh?! HTH

Thanks guys, armed with your reassurance, I took another look at the spacers.. neither of which was anything remotely like the other one! After shortening one by 3mm and then filing them both to a new angle that matched the chrome outer trim, they fit a treat.

Of course, I've realised I have 7mm wide wiper arms (Dax) and 5mm wide wipers (Europa) so I need to do some swapping.

I did read elsewhere that the 7mm arms were too strongly sprung and that Dax supply the smaller ones, but I guess things have changed! D'oh..

Still, motor, tubes and wheel boxes are now fitted

Hi

this thread reminds me i need to get the wheel boxes for the wipers

what is the length of the post as ive looked on the bay and there all different lengths

thanks

Matt

Hi whilst on wiper subject

i fitted my Premier wiring loom and just about everything worked, but the intermittant mode only delays before wipers activate but stay on all the time like in single speed mode. Using the red Ford intermttant delay relay, in fact trued another and same result, anyone had this scenario. .?