Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ground Clearance.

Hi all, I’m whittling down the choices on sump/ oil pan for my Chevy mouse motor and would be most grateful of any advice and experiences offered. I know from Dax that a stock height pan works fine, but there are some pans available with kickouts to increase oil volume etc. and, in the process, this can save an inch+ on the pan height.

I hope I’m presuming correctly that the sump is the point nearest the ground? Charlie has designed and made some sump guards which is great, I just wondered if every bit of ground clearance you can get is worth pursuing. What do folks think? Thanks in advance and I don’t think this should be marque specific.
    Tris

DAX IRS SBC, in build....

I have a TKO500 box attached to my engine and it the bell housing thats lower than the sump.

Thanks for your response Daryn, that’s helpful. TKO500 is the same box I’m going for.
    Tris

Generally I think the bottom of the bellhousing is pretty much in line with the sump.
    With an AK I think you will be looking at the bottom of the oil cooler scoop as much as the sump etc.
    2003 Dave Brookes Dax 350ci Chevy SB.
    2008 Crendon 462ci Ford Sideoiler FE Chassis No.43
    2012 Crendon 351ci Ford Cleveland Chassis No.24
    2014 Crendon 452ci Ford FE Chassis No.66 (in progress)

Oil cooler scoop definitely lowest point on our SR (hence having a stainless steel plate bolted to bottom of it, so that gets caught first, and not the scoop itself. Bell housing next lowest point, then sump.
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Many thanks for the responses gents, this sort of judgement is really difficult to make on your first trip, so this is very helpful. It figures then, that there is no real clearance advantage to a shallower sump and this increases pan options and may just save a few quid; never a bad thing!

I’ll look in to scoop/ pan/ bellhousing protection after IVA as plenty else to be getting on with at the moment. Thanks again.
    Tris

I would go for the shallow sump option anyway.
    As long as you don't go too far from Canton or similar the cost saving to go deeper will be minimal.

Thanks Neil, I'll bear that in mind when searching. Lots available from canton and moroso - bit like a sweet shop really! Cheers.

I have the Aviaid sump on my current car.
    Proper ballache. It's offset to the passenger side among other things which make it harder to use.
    In hindsight I should have got the Canton low profile sump. Hey ho.

Thanks Neil, there’s more than a lot of choice with these three companies alone. You could fit a Canton lowpro sump to your next Crendon I guess.....
    Tris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast