Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pilgrim Sumo (Kittihawk) Build Diary

I've scanned the build diary that the original builder, Max, wrote for the Pilgrim Owner's Club and that came in the box of documents with Kittihawk.

I've used OCR to get it into a format I can easily post so please forgive any typos. I'm going to post a new installment every week or so.

Sumo MKIII Build Up Report

Part One

IN THE BEGINNING
    For many years I have been one the many people dreaming about building my own car. I even closely researched the subject a few years ago but decided that money was a definite problem. Changes over the past year meant that in the spring of '93 I was again researching the possibility of a kit build.

My requirements were simple. I had to want to build and drive the car. Sounds easy. I have had the normal home mechanic experience, so parts of the build would be alright, other parts frighten me silly! (How do you make brake lines?) I needed a one donor kit, or as close as possible. I had to be able to drive it - out go the Seven's (too tight for comfort). Of course money came into it - I didn't have enough!

In the end I was down to three possibilities, one of which was the Sumo. My father became interested at this stage and a partnership was struck. We visited Den together and inspected the Mark III Sumo. We were happy with Den's commitment and with the design. We were however nervous about being one of the first to build a Mark III Sumo. Lots of discussion later, the decision was reached, and the order placed for a pilgrim Sumo Mark III.

THE PLAN
    The car will be based on a 2 litre sierra. We decided on a red gel coat finish. We intend to fit a 5 speed gearbox and a standard carburetted 2 litre pinto engine. Problem - all the MkIII's Den has sold have been Rover V8 based. We are the only customers building a pinto powered version. Never mind, it can't be that bad!

I had three weeks holiday booked for September and planned to devote them all to the build. The idea being that a good start could be made, thereby keeping enthusiasm high. The kit delivery date was set for the beginning of the second week of september. I joined P.O.C at the Sanddown show while sussing out other builders.
    My parents went on holiday and I had four weeks to find a donor and arrange things! The dream starts to become reality.

THE DONOR
    After two weeks I managed to find a 1982 Sierra 2.0GL with a 5 speed gearbox. It had a current MOT, done under 80,000 miles, had no body damage, only a small amount of rust and looked well looked after. A deal was struck and I was now the proud owner of a donor car.

I got it insured and covered about 300 miles in the following fortnight. A few faults showed up - it never warmed up for one. A replacement thermostat and viscous fan unit sorted that and when we took it off the road, we were sure everything that we wanted worked. Its MOT still had a week to run!

THE FIRST WEEK
    The first task was to empty my fathers double garage, or rather rearrange it. The garage was emptied of cars, bikes, lawn mower and the rest rearranged to give more space. An engine hoist was borrowed from James (very useful knowledgeable friend built Duttons, custom minis, rebuilt TR6 etc) along with a few other tools and the Sierra moved into position.

Out came the engine and gearbox - wow that was quite easy!. with the Sierra bodyshell positioned in the drive everything else was removed in the next three days. The rest of the week was occupied with cleaning, stripping, painting and reassembling the parts we intended to use.

The engine was in good nick, as was the gearbox. The clutch was replaced, and the whole reassembled. We had passed the first hurdle - never done a clutch before, hope it works OK!

All the ancillaries (pedals, servo, diff, wishbones, hubs, wiring loom etc) was cleaned and stacked away in boxes. I was particularly careful with the loom and labelled everything before I unplugged it!

The garage was tidied (again!) and the area swept and half carpeted ready to receive the body and chassis.

What have I done? will it ever work? Should I put the Sierra together again and sell it? (Fathers suggestion) Where has all my money gone? Am I mad? (my mum thinks so)

to be continued
    Kittihawk: Pilgrim Sumo MK3 built '93/'94 with 2.1L Stage 2 Pinto and Ford Type 9 5-Speed Gearbox

this is a good read - like a trip back in time
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

How about a series of articles for the club mag ?
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

what Martin said!
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Instead of here or as well as?
    Kittihawk: Pilgrim Sumo MK3 built '93/'94 with 2.1L Stage 2 Pinto and Ford Type 9 5-Speed Gearbox

Quote Originally Posted by skinnymathew View Post
    Instead of here or as well as?
    Both if that's OK with you. There are a lot of people in the Club that would love to read this sort of thing that don't visit this site. Plus there is no limit to pictures you can post on here.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Just one point - from what you said in the first post, the original builder produced the build diary for the Pilgrim Owners Club. This suggests he should have no issue with it being reproduced elsewhere but, if you haven't already done so, it would be courteous to seek his permission before doing so.
    Last edited by conrod; 09-04-18 at 09:13 AM.
    Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)
    Dax 427 DeDion - Huddart SBC 383

Quote Originally Posted by conrod View Post
    if you haven't already done so, it would be courteous to seek his permission before doing so.
    I did and he doesn't have a problem with it
    Last edited by skinnymathew; 09-04-18 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TINKA View Post
    How about a series of articles for the club mag ?
    I can certainly do that. I signed up to the club last week and I'm just waiting for my membership number for my insurance.

Mathew you have a PM.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible FOR SALE
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast