Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twin roll hoops

Twin roll hoops

Help needed please. I bought a part built sumo mark 3 chassis and the previous owner was going to fit a single roll bar. I have bought the two additional mounting brackets from pilgrim to fit twin roll bars but it looks like I will have to move the tank back slightly as the top lip on the tank looks like it will catch the inner roll hoop bars. Will this affect the filler cap or anything else when I eventually purchase and fit the body. If I do move it back am I best to make some additional support as it hangs over the rear chassis crossmember quite a bit now. Also where is the best place to fit the fuel pump & filter. Will it be accessible fitted to the near side of the tank as in most pictures. Regards John.

Hi John,

I am also building a mark III sumo. Not sure how your hoops foul the tank. From what i understand the tank sites on the chassis section below the roll hoops. You are correct that the tank overhangs but as far as i know there is no need for additional support. I have found a blog by a fellow builder very useful due to the many pictures and as i understand his build has closely followed the factory builds at Pilgrim.

https://pilgrimcobra.wordpress.com

I think you will need to register with wordpress and then request access to the blog.

Good luck with your build
    James

I've just clicked the link and can see the blog ok - haven't had to register with wordpress etc to see it

Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Hi John, I have twin hoops fitted to my sumo and you will have no problems, the tank does not need to be moved as the inner brackets will be in line with the welded chassis mountings, you can cut the fuel filler hole once you've mounted the body,this will line up with the filler hole of your tank, and yes there is plenty room on the near side of the tank to fit a fuel pump and filter, had to change mine last month.
    Steve

as Earl would say............it's Karma

Pilgrim MK3
    JRV8, 15" Halibrands, Balanced underslung exhaust
    IVA & DVLA April 2012.........Airbrushed...The Fife way.

Hi James, when the tank is butted close up to the lower chassis section, there's a lip on the top of the tank which overhangs the edge and will catch on the hoops, does your tank not have a lip on the top? Thanks for the blog link, interesting.
    regards John

Hi Steve, thanks for that, maybe I have a different tank, cos mine has a lip on the top which would overhang and catch the inner hoops.Do you have any photos of your build that may help. Regards John.

Hi john, i am not able to get to my garage until next week as i will need to have a look at my tank etc. I think i do have a lip but don't recall any issues. I will take a couple of pics for you to see if mine is the same as yours.

Hi john, after looking at some pictures on my phone i noticed my tank has a larger lip on the side where the fuel filler hole is located (in the centre of the tank). This side should be facing the rear of the car away from the roll hoops. Unfortunately i have now managed to block my father-in-laws internet from the forum when trying to upload a pic so now on my phone with no way of uploading any pics.

James

Hi James, Trying to post some pics of mine. Do you know how to put pics on here please.

Hi John,

I am not an expert and I know from other posts that some use external websites to host pictures and then link to them. Also I am not sure how to do it from a phone or ipad as I don't see the same options; however on a pc I get some icons above the box in which I type my text and the third one from the left is to upload pictures. I have used this very successfully in the past however my last two attempts have resulted in my home internet and my Father-in-laws internet being blocked by the forum host.

The pic above has been upload as described from my work and whilst the tank isn't in the right place it is orientated correctly and will allow you to see if you tank etc are the same.

James
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Granada based Pilgrim Sumo with RV8 - May 2017
    YouTube Build diary:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJnGMrv_CkERYzoG68enTGg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast