Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre IVA Test

Pre IVA Test

I have an IVA date for 2nd May at Kidderminster so thought it best to take the car through a dummy MOT test in advance.
    And what a nice sunny day to pick!

The guys at F1 Autocentre in Kidderminster were really helpful and gave it a good safety check.

The good news is the brakes - including handbrake which seems problematic on AK's all passed easily. I'm using the latest pulley system design
    The emissions on the SBC 350 ended up OK - well under on CO, very close on HC. They were good enough to test this several times and each time it improved - suggestion is as the engine beds in it improves but would certainly benefit from an expert tune - if I can find one!

On the to do list -

Slight leak from front brake flexy. - easy fix
    Rear brake flexies need re-routing to prevent touching body on compression. - Looks straightforward.
    Nearside front wheel touching inside of wheel arch (engine side) on full right lock. Left is no problem. Not sure whats happened here as I checked this previously and didn't seem to be a problem. I guess I'll need to insert a rack limit restrictor. The other thing I noticed was on full right lock - the steering seemed to over-steer - i.e. not self centering. I'm thinking the lock restriction should sort that out.
    Headlights - tester said he would pass them at MOT - but they are right on the limit - bizarrely for rotation. In other words I've somehow mounted both headlights about 5 degrees clockwise. Easily solved!

Things I noticed on route to MOT station - car was quite jerky/snatchy at low speeds but I'll put that down to bedding in and me getting used to it.
    Very soft and bouncy at the back end - so I need to study up how to stiffen up the GAZ adjustable dampers and will probably raise the rear ride height a little.

On the problem list -

I failed to calibrate the Speedhut Speedometer on the way to the test so need to sort this out as a priority. Most likely a cabling issue.

So at this point I've got plenty of boxes ticked for the IVA but panic will soon set in!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers
    Steve

My missus asked me to build her a Cobra! – How good is that!

AK Gen2 chassis arrived 12/2/15 IVA Passed 2/7/18 on road 29/7/18
    http://stevesakcobrabuild.blogspot.com

not too bad is that Steve good job.

As the to car, what a stunning colour that is - what colour is it?

Very nice indeed and the interior colour goes really well with it too.

rgds
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

I take it you’ve got some head restraints somewhere.

Thanks Gary.
    Its Aston Martin Diavolo red - The missus wanted Candy Apple red but the paint shop explained the problems with repairing it so we settled on the Aston colour.
    The interior is Anthracite with red stitching - we think it goes well and should wear better than the lighter colours.
    Cheers
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 1dayiwill View Post
    I take it you’ve got some head restraints somewhere.
    yes - I've booked the AK IVA kit which includes the headrests. That said I want to look into some proper matching ones going forward as I think its just safer.
    I've also gone for the IVA mirrors from S&J as standard - I'm happy with the way they look and you can actually see with them.
    Cheers
    Steve

Are you driving to the test centre or getting it transported?

Did you drive it to the MOT?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    Are you driving to the test centre or getting it transported?
    Hi Andy, I’ve changed my insurance to an on road policy currently insured on vin number. It’s still with footman James and I asked a specific question of them with over the legality of driving to and from dvla test centres and they said i’m covered. It also appears there’s no lime limit for being insured solely on vin - but you can only go to dvla test centres. I’ve seen other comments on here about 30 day limits. So on this basis I’ll be driving to Kidderminster which fortunately (depending on your view) is only 3 miles from home.
    What I would say is I learned so much about this car from actually driving it that will put me in a much better shape for Iva. The problem for most of us with these builds is nowhere to test/ debug before submitting to detailed Iva.
    Cheers
    Steve

I was under the impression you were only able to drive to compulsory tests ie, IVA tests??

MOT is fine, provided there is appropriate insurance, and the MOT is pre-booked.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast