Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

IVA looming, advice needed

Hi Guys, with my IVA test looming, less than one week away now, I am going over the AK and adding extra cable ties and tidying things up, sorting minor fluid weeps and so on and trying not to panic. Does anyone have a check list of items of paperwork and so on that I need to take with me, or a link to a helpful blog? I am intending to take a small tool kit for last minute adjustments and maybe a trolley jack and overalls in case I have to get under the car. I know I will need documentation for fuel pipe and so on, but do I need all my receipts and build photos and donor log book? I have printed the build manual section about the immobiliser not needing an installation certificate. I have decided not to drive to the test, but to have the car transported. Most of my anxieties are connected to potential unreliability having not had a chance to drive the car anywhere, I decided I was more worried about not getting there and missing the test than failing it, I can deal with that. I would be grateful as always, for any help in the way of advice. Cheers, Mick

I cant help with your physical needs but one thing I would say is DONT PANIC! I had an SVA years back and was surprised at how helpfull the tester was. I arrived at the Test center as a bag of nerves but was put at ease by the tester. and unless its changed, if you fail (which I hope you wont) then you only have to be retested on those failures which makes life a lot easier. So unless you get a real animal of a tester they will try and help you. Mine even went to get himself a cup of tea while I fixed a few more cabled ties. Dont forget to take your battery powered drill too you might need it.
    GOOD LUCK.
    MKIII Pilgrim Sumo. 3.5 Litre Rover V8 Towing an Eriba Puck Caravan

Thanks Ken. I want the car to pass but if it doesn't I will just have a few things to sort out. I appreciate your words of encouragement. The battery drill I hadn't thought of. Cheers Mick

Take the Instructions on how to calibrate your Speedo and make sure you know how to adjust the shoes for your handbrake!

Screwdrivers for headlight alignment.

I fitted the yellow brake fluid sticker at my IVA test too, so I could agree the position with the tester too.

I think, if you have test date, the paperwork side of things is already sorted so you won’t need log books or photos.
    Last edited by cperry; 20-04-18 at 01:47 PM.

Mick, it is a naturally nervy day for the average amateur builder. Try not to worry too much.
    If it fails, it fails. There's no official badge of honour for passing first time (unless you're a pro builder, then it's a must).
    Remember, you will only be retested on the things that fail. Fix them, take it back, done.
    I failed my SVA back in '08 on 3 things, got them sorted and went back 2 weeks later for the sure fire pass.
    Sometimes I think it's best to go with an attitude that you will fail and then you relax a bit
    2003 Dave Brookes Dax 350ci Chevy SB.
    2008 Crendon 462ci Ford Sideoiler No.43
    2012 Crendon 351ci Ford Cleveland No.24
    2019 Crendon 445ci Ford FE No.66

Thanks. The speedo is one of my worries. I will take the instruction sheet with me and I've calibrated it according to my calculations, but I don't even know if it works yet! I will remind myself on the handbrake adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by Mick J View Post
    Thanks. The speedo is one of my worries. I will take the instruction sheet with me and I've calibrated it according to my calculations, but I don't even know if it works yet! I will remind myself on the handbrake adjustment
    if you take a sat nav with you, you will soon know if its right or not
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

I’ve had two testers who have both let me calibrate it on the rollers.

Hi Mick, I went through this last week. Yes it is a bit nerve racking, but like Neil said, if you go expecting to fail and you go through thats a bonus and if it fails you only have to settle those issues. I had Byron at Exeter and he put me at ease and was very fair, they will give you tinker time. I would suggest you take every conceivable tool you can think of. Take some extra acousta fill in case you need to get those decibels down.

Good luck, it is a great feeling when you do pass.

Cheers
    Garry
    Life is to short so just do it, otherwise you may live to regret it.

DAX TOJEIRO DE DION
    chevy 383 stroker 6.2 LTR 45O HP

Trying to remember what I took to my SVA. 'P' Clips various sizes, Drill and drills, self tapping screws. Gaffer tape. Decent screwdriver set, Jets and rods etc for my Edelbrock carb, BIG pack of Werthers, The tester loved them ! (I know its bribery but hey !!) Little rolls of stiff garden wire, and anything else I could think of. I took near every movable item in my garage 'Just in case'.
    They let me reset my speedo, and adjust the carb as the emissions werent good. Passed first time. But I did go over the car up on ramps etc every day for a week before the test.
    But a point worth mentioning. You WILL pass. If not fIrst time then on the retest, BUT YOU WILL PASS, so DONT PANIC!
    MKIII Pilgrim Sumo. 3.5 Litre Rover V8 Towing an Eriba Puck Caravan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast