Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Diff fits fine (apart from the holes issue) just my crap picture taking skills and is one of Jaguar's unmentionables, a Dana!!!!!!!!!

It's actually a 2.87:1, yes a 2.87 not 2.88, off of an XJS 5.3HE and it's all mine. Good enough to chuck an XJS around good enough for me (once I actually get it fitted), and it's not that horrible light blue in the flesh it's much darker and is POR15 signal blue and yes it needs touching up already, knocked it about a bit trying to fit it the other day.

Graham.
    Last edited by Gatwick Axe Man; 24-04-18 at 09:57 PM.
    AK gen 1 delivered 05/05/17, on the road shortly!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatwick Axe Man View Post
    Diff fits fine (apart from the holes issue) just my crap picture taking skills and is one of Jaguar's unmentionables, a Dana!!!!!!!!!

It's actually a 2.87:1, yes a 2.87 not 2.88, off of an XJS 5.3HE and it's all mine. Good enough to chuck an XJS around good enough for me (once I actually get it fitted), and it's not that horrible light blue in the flesh it's much darker and is POR15 signal blue and yes it needs touching up already, knocked it about a bit trying to fit it the other day.

Graham.
    Thats a relief. I agree with the comments that you’ve got to talk to AK as this is a rediclious situation to be in. With this incorrect fitting could lead to major failure, which with the torque you’ll have put you upside down in a ditch.

You have to have tapered bolts to centralise everything and take the lateral forces involved here. Speak to AK as seeing such a major potential fault in this day and age is concerning.

Interested to to hear what they say.

OK, spoke to Jon today and all is good.

Bolts, spring washers and the big washers I was unsure about are all the correct fittings for what I have. The enlarged holes are to accommodate variations in diff case castings and bolt hole positions (on the diff), the big washers are, big washers! Fold the edges over as in tab washers. The rear diff support also adds to the "stiffness" as it's bolted direct to the chassis. Centralisation is not a problem as everything bolts up tight when all the extras are bolted to the diff, i.e. brakes, hubs, drive shafts etc.

So my diff is again, on the car, albeit just a tad more than finger tight. With a bit of luck my nice non shiny black brake discs will be on tomorrow and before I know it the rear will be done. Onwards and forwards, front suspension next.

Many thanks for all the comments, Graham.

AK are selling you a bodge and a dangerous one at that.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

I don't like the sound of it either. It's not properly engineered. You need to consult with AK builders and find out how theirs are assembled. The diff is cast, the holes are in a fixed position. The chassis should be drilled for a direct fit with the diff holes, to the correct size. It should bolt up correctly with no play or gaps. I hope you can get it sorted.
    DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

Open to comments from anyone who has built an AK Gen 1.

Graham.

Morning Everybody,

I just want to clarify a few things posted on this thread.
    Firstly there is nothing wring with Graham's chassis and he has assembled it correctly, Now I'm not sure what profession all you guys excel in BUT I'm sure it's not as a Cobra kit manufacturer with 30 years knowledge and experience.
    With regards to the calculation of 7000 f/lb of torque , all a gearbox is designed for is to reduce the engine revs and NOT multiply engine torque, the same applies to the rear Diff.
    Despite some people thinking our diff mounting is dangerous and will put you upside down in a ditch, out of 528 Gen 1 chassis sold over the last 30 years our hedges and verges don't seem to be littered with my cars.

Regards

Jon AK Sportscars

You don't get these problems with Mercedes..........

you sure?

Bit of wd40 and it'll drive away.....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast