Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IVA Fail

IVA Fail

Took the Sumo for the IVA today. 6.30 start (woke the neighbours) putting it on the lowloader. Fortunately the weather was superb. I was not looking forward to the process but it all went well apart from the fail at the end. Only minor ones though:
    Mirrors - could'nt see the bottom of the test pole so they need putting on the side of the windscreen instead of door mounted.
    Steering wheel - small slots in steering wheel spokes need covering.
    Front grille - I have 2 horizontal bars across the opening. I spaced them to stop the big sphere instead of the small one!!
    Speedo - it decided to go mad and read way to fast compared to actuals.
    Headlamp - near side showing odd pattern. Dodgy bulb. When I inspected it I found the glass was actually 10 degrees out compared to the mounting lugs so a new bulb has now rectified that!

All issues that are easily sorted and I would just like to say 2 things:
    1. A big thank you for all those that have helped answer questions I have asked during the build.
    2. A big thank you to the IVA guys at the Chadderton test centre. Sometimes the examiners get some stick but my experience today was a positive one. I was given the opportunity to adjust my headlights and they tried their best with the mirrors. They were friendly, happy to offer solutions and nothing but proffesional.

As you say easy fixes and should be on the road in time to enjoy the rest of the summer.

Front grill/opening......get yourself an old plastic number plate and round the edges off to suit the radius rule.
    Mount it on your bars. It should be of sufficient size to stop the sphere.
    Your tester should have put his own dummy plate in there before waving his ball on a stick.
    2003 Dave Brookes Dax 350ci Chevy SB.
    2008 Crendon 462ci Ford Sideoiler FE Chassis No.43
    2012 Crendon 351ci Ford Cleveland Chassis No.24
    2014 Crendon 452ci Ford FE Chassis No.66 (in progress)

Hi Watchwood
    I'm the guy with the other Cobra that was there on Tuesday, and I agree the guys at Chadderton were really good.
    Mine also failed but mostly due to the fact that once my engine got hot it wouldn't start again. So got myself a bigger battery and doubled the size of the battery cable. Got my retest booked in for 21st May. Fingers crossed that this time I pass.

Anthony

Anthony, if you're running an old school set I.e. chevy Ford v8 with a holley or edelbrock sometimes the fuel in the carb has evaporated, then it won't pull through and restart. Then the battery goes flat! It's the heat from the inlet heating up the carb, you need to fit an insulator. Or you might just have a crap battery!
    Good luck anyway.Lee
    .............never drive faster than your guardian angel.

cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

Good luck Anthony. Maybe think about adding some rubber trim round your centre mirror unless he has already passed it. My examiner had the radius guage on it!

That's a good result, a few quick fixes and a pass in a couple of weeks 🤞
    I had mine tested at Chadderton in February and found them very helpful
    I also passed second time around after a few small fixes

Get your paperwork ready to send away as soon as it's passed, mine took 10 days to logbook dropping on the mat 👍

Hi WatchwoodIt passed on all the stuff on the inside of the car. He found 1 bolt unerneath that was securing the blanking plate for the mechanical speedo pick up, it was showing 3 threads, and he also noticed that where the handbrake goes through 1 of the chassis plate on of the nuts on that needed tightening up. Like I said uther than the car not starting there quiet easy fixes. He did mention at the end about the indicators but as there painted on the inside as well as the outside he said that I just neded to show him that and then it would be fine.

Lee i am running old school but I've bought a bigger battery and I'm doubling the size of the battery lead as well to see if that will get me over that probelm. But I might look at an insulator for the carb.....belt and braces.

Cheers
    Anthony

are you running a mechanical fuel pump?
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

yes I am Kevin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast