Thread: RV8 Overheating

RV8 Overheating

Hey all

Me again! as I'm back the flow I decided to get the car and give her clean and a little run (stand still on the drive way) Got up to temp in about 10mins and then kept going until it went over 120 and water started spilling or rather being ejected out of the expansion tank!?

The fan kicked in but didn't seem to do anything ... I have a restrictor valve in place along the top hose so not sure why this is happening? Any advice?

The engines a new built one from Jim RV8, runs lovely ... just seems to overheat the system.

Thanks again

J
    Blog: http://pilgrimcobra.wordpress.com

Was this with the cap on?

Yes, had the cap on, rated 13psi
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is the car sealing properly. I remember a while ago a problem like this when the rubber seal on the cap was too short to reach the seat in the expansion bottle. As for the fan have you checked it's turning the correct direction as you wouldn't be the first to have it turning backwards.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Got rid of all the air?
    Cheers,
    Murray

That's the trouble with you Sailors, long hair, quick zips and, Oohh, look at the size of that!!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Hi ,
    That restrictor that you have fitted looks to be closed preventing any flow through the expansion bottle. I would suggest opening it up a little more as you have to have some expansion room in the system.
    Give me a call and also send me a picture of the way that you have the cooling system plumbed .

Regards
    Jim

Hi Jim

I'll try that tomorrow again and open up the restrictor a bit more. As far as I know the engine is plumbed the 'normal' way which it says in the manual, I've not done anything different. But I'll try and get a pic for you tomo and give you call if I still have issues. Thanks Jim

How do I find out if the fan is turning the correct direction? and if not how do I change it?

One more thing, any advice on how to get the air out, incases there's some trapped!

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by jrv8 View Post
    Hi ,
    That restrictor that you have fitted looks to be closed preventing any flow through the expansion bottle. I would suggest opening it up a little more as you have to have some expansion room in the system.
    Give me a call and also send me a picture of the way that you have the cooling system plumbed .

Regards
    Jim

You do know not to fill the expansion bottle all the way to the top as you have to leave room for expansion .
    As to the fan , if you have them running and hold a sheet of paper near the outside of the rad , it should be drawn in towards the engine (as if the car was driving forward) If it blows away from the outside of the rad it's wrong.
    Did you have any problems before you fitted the adjustable restrictor into the pipe ?

Jim
    Last edited by jrv8; 10-05-18 at 09:56 PM.

Looks like I had the fan blowing in the wrong direction.
    I did the quick test, switched the wires over and ran again, she now sits at around 90deg no issues phew.

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions ... chalk that up to another one who wired their fan up incorrectly!

Quote Originally Posted by Sportstog View Post
    Looks like I had the fan blowing in the wrong direction.
    I did the quick test, switched the wires over and ran again, she now sits at around 90deg no issues phew.

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions ... chalk that up to another one who wired their fan up incorrectly!
    Glad it was such a quick and easy fix.