Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Handbrake adjustment XJ6 Dax

Hi I have unbalanced hand brake on the MOT test this showed up . I have adjusted the cable in the past but do I need to adjust any thing on the brake calipees to balance them . Also with inboard brakes a mare to get at .I am thinking expanding my inspection hatch which I use for brake bleeding so I can gain access to both calipers .

Last time I had that at MOT time it transpired to be a missing handbrake pad!!

Hi Jim,

I did get brake pressure from both sides . Hope its not missing . I will need to check asap .If it was missing ould expect no brakes from one side on applying the handbrake ?

I lost the friction material on a single pad (plate was still there, I did a track day a few weeks previously so presume it overheated) and it still applied “some” force

Rgds

Jim

When taking the XJ6s to the (german) MOT we made sure to have the splint out for the big slotted adjuster screw and turn them in with a long screwdriver just before hitting the brake test. To drive home release them again. (At home insert a new split pin).
    Nothing is as it seems...

If the pads are intact then to adjust the handbrake you should not be tightening the cable to do this. The cable should be adjusted so that the arms are parallel to each other, and then as mentioned you remove the pins on both the calipers and adjust the drakes that way. You will need to do both sides to do it properly. I do mine each year and they work as well as any jag handbrake on this sort of jag setup ever does.

.....” and they work as well as any jag handbrake on this sort of jag setup ever does.”
    You mean badly!
    Dek

Thanks Tinka that might explain the imbalance as I took the slack up on the cable so they must be out of balance for that reason . I need to cut out inspection hatch so I can get at them easy . Not as agile as I used to be getting under cars on axle stands . I will have a go over the bank holiday weekend
    Last edited by jon1d; 25-05-18 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Add info

I found that the system on my (very) old Dax did not allow enough travel for the self adjusting mechanism to ratchet up.
    Before the mot I used to uncouple the cable and run the arms back and forth to get an even number of clicks on each.
    Probably only a couple form memory otherwise the cable won’t go back on..

This is all a long while ago though. My memory could well be hazy.

I do recall it being a whole lot easier than delving into the adjustment given the room available.

A
    A S motorsport Ltd. 01379 688356 mob; 07909531816 web; asmotorsport.co.uk email \"andrewsoar@yahoo.com\"

That's interesting so I just need to work out what to adjust on the brakes and try and not take it up on the cable otherwise it goes out of balance .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast