Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bird poop stain - how to remove?

Hello All,

Yesterday I returned from a weekend trip round Wales in the Cobra (luckily managing to avoid most of the heavy rain!). On the way home, and unbeknowing to us, we must have been splattered by a huge Seagull dropping, which then baked in the hot afternoon sunshine during the drive home.

When I got home and spotted the huge splat, I immediately washed it off, but because it had probably baked for a couple of hours, the bird pooh has left a stain on the car. I have tried various treatments to remove the offending stain, but it is still visible. I have attached a photo of the mark it has left on the car.

Do you guys have any tips to remove the stain / mark please? I keep the car in pristine condition and this has really narked me.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Andy
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm afraid that one may be permanent, the alkaline birds crap has marked the surface.

Technical bit, the paint slightly softens when it gets warm, the birds crap hits the surface and then dries, while it dries the fact it has a high alkaline content and the paint may be slightly softer in the warm the paint hardens again while the crap etches slightly into finish and then matches the in print of the birds dodo.

Its a case of a very fine w&d locally and then a spot polish with a smart repair gun or gently with an orbital polisher.
    You might find you can hand off the w&d, might be worth a go if you don't have a orbital polisher.
    You might get away with say some G3 and had cut it back, but if its as bad as it look it might need a tickle with some w&d

In all the years with the resto business I can guarantee if we painted a car and put it outside a bird would sh)t on it immediately. It was outside for a wash and then back in till it was collected.
    We had a red berry tree near the work shop and the birds that ate those things could stain almost permanently a white car.

Sorry

David

Hi David,

Many thanks for the message and information, although not what I wanted to hear. Bloody Seagulls!

Please excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by w&d?

Cheers,

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy5475 View Post
    Hi David,

Many thanks for the message and information, although not what I wanted to hear. Bloody Seagulls!

Please excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by w&d?

Cheers,

Andy
    wet & dry sanding paper
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

As said, wet and dry.
    Start with say 2000 sf, and see if that shifts it, be careful though, a rub thru means a paint repair

What have you already tried to get rid of it with Andy?

Can you feel the edges between it and the clear paint areas?

This one does seem to have a quite deep looking ledge to it.

Gary
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nealgs; 30-05-18 at 07:20 AM.
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

I'd use Farecla G3 on this, safe and should work.

Alan.
    AK Gen II delivery date Oct '15
    IVA pass Dec '18.
    On the road Jan '19
    GM LQ4 364ci, LS9 cam, Omex 710.
    Tremec T56 Terminator.

Just had the same with the daughter's car. G3 has made the marks better but I'll be getting the wet and dry out when I get a chance .

Andy

Thank you all for the helpful comments. So far I have tried Meguiars shampoo and then the Detailing Spray.

In answer to Gary's question, if I run my finger nail over the mark, then yes I can feel a slight edge where the bird pooh mark is.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy5475 View Post
    Thank you all for the helpful comments. So far I have tried Meguiars shampoo and then the Detailing Spray.

In answer to Gary's question, if I run my finger nail over the mark, then yes I can feel a slight edge where the bird pooh mark is.

Andy
    Thats because the cr@p has etched and sunk into the paintwork, when you w&d it you basically rubb the top raised layer around the poo mark off ( sorry very simple terms being used ) down to the new El-crapo layer, gently fettle this with the w&d and try and polish the w&d cutting marks out, but as I said be careful and dont wear thru the clear coat.

David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast