Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile Kent 2015 Spring Tour

The meeting at Brands hatch last Saturday was a good opportunity to meet old friends and new. Such a pity the rain spoiled play.

We all know that to keep the Cobra Club alive requires a little effort from a lot of people. I was glad to see a number who had driven serious miles (only 42 each way for me) to make the meeting.

I find it strange that some Cobra owners won’t drive far to make a meeting, as surely that’s the point of owning a car like a Cobra - to drive it.

Thanks to Royce and Paul for keeping the interest going on the Total Kit Car event. How about another biggie get together inn the Spring?

I’d be happy to arrange a meeting in the spring, as I’ve done before, maybe to drive a triangle of a route, to make it fair for everyone. Possibly between National Trust venues or similar. (I’ve already approched the NT and they are OK for us to turn up en-masse at venues - with some notice. Paul has NT membership and could advise on suitable venues where parking is £1 or so). Borrowing some ideas from the European Cobra meeting, how about us meeting on a Saturday or Sunday, say in the north of Kent for breakfast, drive to the south west, have lunch, then drive to the south east for a traditional british tea, then disperse back to our homes. Possible mileage 120ish. Cost fuel plus food and parking.

I'd suss out a route and do a route plan, reserve parking spaces, book pubs/restaurants/tea rooms - whatever.

Does that appeal to others once the weather improves in the new year? No need to commit, just express interest (or not) at this stage.

David

Hi David,

Still waiting for DVLA.... ( I hoping this won't be still an issue in the new year) I would be keen

Neil
    Build Started 24/02/13 IVA'd 16/10/2014 registration completed 26/11/2014. First drive 27/11/2014

Neil,

That's great. Good incentive to push through to the end. Best of luck with the DVLA.

See you in 2015.

David

Can't wait to go for a drive.... I was driving back from Cardiff today in buitiful sun shine and all I could think was I wish is was in the cobra....
    Build Started 24/02/13 IVA'd 16/10/2014 registration completed 26/11/2014. First drive 27/11/2014

Happy to once the car been sorted through the winter and Im confident with the results, good to give it a good run to see how she behaves......

Regarding ‘the 2015 Spring Tour’, I’ve had a few thoughts, so let’s test them out now. Here goes:

As Kent Cobra owners are well spread out, to attract the most participation it would be good to have a route that is accessible to all, with some owners doing it all and others dipping in and out as is convenient for their time/family commitments and geographical location.

Possible start in NE Kent at a breakfast venue e.g. Bewl Water Country Park - for 8.30-9.00 meeting (they’ve agreed not to charge entry fee of £4pp if we have breakfast there.)

Drive to first stop SE Kent/Sussex for coffee e.g. 1066 Cafe at Robertsbridge - for 11.00 meeting (plenty of parking and good clubby venue.)

Drive to second stop SW Kent for lunch e.g. The Royal Oak Brookland (propert restaurant) or the Star Inn, St Mary in the Marsh (good quality pub food) - for 12.30 meeting

Drive to third stop in NE/Mid Kent e.g. Secret Garden Restaurant Mersham le Hatch, just outside Ashford (Used that last year for a lunchtime meet. Seemed to go well and they offered secure parking last time) or further towards Chartham and Canterbury - venue tbc - for 3.30 meeting

Dispersal at 4.00

Thoughts, critique, any response would be valued.
    Quote Originally Posted by LUX 427 View Post
    The meeting at Brands hatch last Saturday was a good opportunity to meet old friends and new. Such a pity the rain spoiled play.

We all know that to keep the Cobra Club alive requires a little effort from a lot of people. I was glad to see a number who had driven serious miles (only 42 each way for me) to make the meeting.

I find it strange that some Cobra owners won’t drive far to make a meeting, as surely that’s the point of owning a car like a Cobra - to drive it.

Thanks to Royce and Paul for keeping the interest going on the Total Kit Car event. How about another biggie get together inn the Spring?

I’d be happy to arrange a meeting in the spring, as I’ve done before, maybe to drive a triangle of a route, to make it fair for everyone. Possibly between National Trust venues or similar. (I’ve already approched the NT and they are OK for us to turn up en-masse at venues - with some notice. Paul has NT membership and could advise on suitable venues where parking is £1 or so). Borrowing some ideas from the European Cobra meeting, how about us meeting on a Saturday or Sunday, say in the north of Kent for breakfast, drive to the south west, have lunch, then drive to the south east for a traditional british tea, then disperse back to our homes. Possible mileage 120ish. Cost fuel plus food and parking.

I'd suss out a route and do a route plan, reserve parking spaces, book pubs/restaurants/tea rooms - whatever.

Does that appeal to others once the weather improves in the new year? No need to commit, just express interest (or not) at this stage.

David

David,

Do count me in too.. and I will bring along the Essex Cobra continguent (about 8 cobras or more ) from www.snaketorque.com ... We are pre-dominantly Essex based but have members from Kent.

We meet on the 1st Sunday of each month... next get together is Sunday 4th janaury 2015 at midday.. at the Halfway House pub on the A127 drag towards southend... Details on our site...

but yes we would be up for the Spring run.... please do keep me posted......

That sounds great. When I propose a final route for the tour I'll ensure that we start and finish in North/mid Kent so that you don't cover the same ground twice. Does Bewl Water seem like a good starting point from your perspective?

Will propose a route and a day in January before doing final arrangements. Would first Sunday in month be good or bad for you? e.g. 1st March? All subject to weather.......

David

that would be fine dave... 1st sunday is the same sunday as our monthly meet.... would prefer another sunday...but we will work with it... if you let me know when you have finalized date etc, i will post onto our site as an event / drive out....

cheers !

Another Sunday it can be...Wasn't sure you'd want to do two weekends in a month but 8th March is a possibility then, but after that I'm in France for the Summer - such is life!

David

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast