Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IVA Failed

IVA Failed

For info for anyone with IVA tests looming, I had my Gen II AK IVA'd at Kidderminster today. The car failed the test but to echo the comments of others I'm quite happy with the way the test was conducted, the staff were friendly and helpful and happy to answer fully any questions. The tester was very careful around the car, making sure to cover the paintwork while leaning over it or using any of the measuring devices. I failed on the following items:

1) Too much info in the VIN plate. I know this is an old chestnut but thought I had it covered with the latest VIN plate from the manufacturer
    2a) Exhaust pipes did not have 2.5mm radius on the opening (in fact it was only one small section of the opening)
    2b) The front over-riders did not meet the 2.5mm radius, I'm using the Brasscraft ones. I'll remove them before the next test.
    3) Top seat belt mountings too low. I'm not the only one to have failed on this recently. I think I need a new and thinner seat base to comply.
    4) Noise, scored 100.04 and just failed - not sure how to resolve this one
    5) Brake pipe exposed to excessive heat. This referred to the copper pipes that run up the front wheel arch to the master cylinder and require heat protection.
    6) The tester felt the HT leads were too close to the headers and needed some thermal wrapping

There were a couple of other minor items that I could have corrected on site if it had not been for the above failures.

I had meant to bring my tablet with all the build photos on it and it would have been useful. The tested wanted to see the seatbelt fixings and would have been satisfied with photos but they allowed me to remove one of the seats.

I have fitted an electric park brake which was a new one on the tester and he spent some time looking at the mechanism and installation. I did bring a copy of the data sheet from the manufacturer which together with the 'pass' on the park brake performance satisfied them.

I'm aiming for a retest before the end of June
    "For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism....."

Thanks for posting this feedback and good luck with your retest. With a tick list of jobs to undertake, you’ll nail it next time. Good luck!

Hi Andy
    The listed items look all relatively quick fixes so weldone . It sounds worst than going to the dentist . The good part is you need only be retested on the failed points and you seem to have most already covered
    Exhaust noise reduction . They do comes which can be fitted to reduced the level for the test or additional exhaust sound deadening . I would try and borrow one if you can they you will not have any worries
    HT leads could be routed using plate fixings which acts as heat shield .There is also single heat wrap which looks awful but would satisfy the tester .

Good luck

depending on what area ,of the leads ,is too hot these might help ?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...boots&_sacat=0

Hi Andy,
    thanks for posting.
    Sounds like you have 2 main issues, the exhausts and the seat height.
    A chat with Jon @AK put me on the right track for my issues which included the seat height.
    I’m still fiddling with my seat height problem, removed carpets and lowered seat base by cutting holes in plywood base so it doesn’t sit on top of bolt heads and removed the washers from the top mount. I reckon mine is now very close, but for my retest which is 2nd July I’m looking to obtain some thinner seat bases as I need to be certain next time.
    Cheers
    Steve

My missus asked me to build her a Cobra! – How good is that!

AK Gen2 chassis arrived 12/2/15 IVA Passed 2/7/18 on road 29/7/18
    http://stevesakcobrabuild.blogspot.com

Hi Andy, thanks for listing those points. I'd say a 95% pass, not too much to get done & on the road soon. My IVA list is getting longer! All the best,
    Bob

Hi Andy,

Useful information, I note the seat belt / roll bar anchors didn't fail, did you brace them in the boot?

you could temp fit some db killers to the end of the exhaust pipes to get you through, so close!

Whats the plan for heat shielding the brake pipes, think this could be a common failure.

That said you are most of the way there.

Alan.
    AK Gen II on the road Jan '19
    GM LQ4 364ci, LS9 cam, Omex 710.
    Tremec T56 Terminator.
    3.27:1 Powr-lok LSD

Hi Alan. The roll bar anchors are the standard AK ones. I added a horizontal strip of angle steel to connect the two supports. The IVA tester did spend some time looking at it but declared it ok. I had used some heat protective tape on the brake servo and master cylinder. The tester said to use more of this on the brake pipes themselves and that would be fine.

If you bought exhausts as a guaranteed IVA part, then send them back to the supplier for re-packing and make sure it's done FOC, simple.
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

- I don't think that will hold up - no one can guarantee that an exhaust system will perform below the IVA noise limit - too many unknown variables on the engine it might be bolted too!
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast