Sidepipe Mountings

Hi All,

I will be fitting the side pipes this weekend.

My thinking is that I will insert the pipes into the headers whilst supporting them at the correct height with the body brackets and bobbins attached.

Once everything is aligned, mark the position of the brackets on the underside of the chassis, remove the whole lot, take some of the powder coating off and MIG the brackets in place, make good and repaint

Is this the standard approach? I am working on the assumption that there is no magic template!

That's pretty much what I did. I seem to remember having to make some adjustments to the brackets for them to sit right. I assume you've not fitted the body yet? In which case you need to make sure you have an appropriate gap between the chassis and exhaust. AK will provide the measurement if it's not in the manual (or someone else on the forum may know it).

Sounds like a plan Kev, i did the same then drilled and tapped some bolts as i wanted to be able to adjust/replace later and didn't want a weld to crack (TBH i'm not the best at welding)!

Alan.
    AK Gen II on the road Jan '19
    GM LQ4 364ci, LS9 cam, Omex 710.
    Tremec T56 Terminator.
    3.27:1 Powr-lok LSD

Hi Kiev,
    I fitted mine after the body was fitted.
    I found the pipes wouldn't easily fit on to the manifold pipes.
    I had to grease the manifold pipes to aid fitting.
    I found considerable effort was required to mate the two parts.
    I rigged up a system using a length of 4 x 2 chocked against the garage wall to push them into place. Don't hit or hammer!!
    One of them did not sit parallel to the body and had to be persuaded into position.
    Having got them into place the brackets had to be adjusted to fit properly.
    They are now finally fitted with exhaust sealer and look great and more to the point they sound great!
    I hope yours are not as much trouble.

sceptic