Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Side Pipe Help / Advice

Hi,
    I've come to fit my Custom Chrome side pipes to my Pilgrim supplied headers and have encountered this problem.
    Reading various threads it's suggested that they should sit approx 20mm away from the body or just enough space to get your fingers behind.
    I can achieve this on the passengers side but the drivers side has a gap of 40mm and can't get it to be less without further modification.
    I have already cut the header and collector pipe down as much as I can.

I suppose my options are:

A) Pull out the passenger side to match so both sides have a 40mm gap.

OR

B) Cut out a small section of the collector and have it welded. (see pic)

I know it's probably down to personal preference but what would others do, is it common to have this much gap?

Attached Images Attached Images

I know nothing about Sumos but could you do something with the engine mounts to move the block over a bit & even up the gaps on either side?
    Colin
    Dax Standard Chassis. Ford 302, AOD auto, DB s/s sidepipes, 2017 T reg.

If you do decide to take 20mm out don't do it where you have indicated on the stainless, you would have to reweld the 4 pipes awkward! Take it out further up in the headers single pipe, mild steel and alot eaiser to do.

what do the collectors look like>? collector looks different to what I used to have (I used to have the same CC sidepipes).
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Is it 40mm or 30mm, it does not look a big gap in the last photo. You can only ever see one side of the car at one time, is it that noticeable?
    People used to say the gap should be big enough to slide your hand with a polishing cloth behind on the pipe and the bodywork.

Have tried this? Mine is about 20-25mm away and I have big hands, I can just manage to get mine in.
    Lee
    .............never drive faster than your guardian angel.

cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

Don’t forget the heat shields in your measurements if that’s your plan..

Phone both suppliers and ask them what they're going to do about it.

Thanks for your replies, looking at it again last night, the problem is with the Pilgrim supplied manifolds, it's already been re-supplied once, the first one didn't clear the steering shaft! Out of interest would heat shields make the gap look less?

Looking at your pictures, if I was going to start cutting and welding anything, it would be the headers. They don't look a great fit to the sidepipes anyway? Can you sort the problem at that end?
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Judging by your comment here, I'd say the Pilgrim headers were the issue (too long)?
    When you had the side pipes made did you supply them with the measurements for length and gap between the end of the header pipes to the inside of body etc so they get the radius correct and length inside the body right? I know I had to when I got mine done, I didn't require any trimming.

Just out of interest where did you get them done?

Quote Originally Posted by MooreCobra View Post
    Thanks for your replies, looking at it again last night, the problem is with the Pilgrim supplied manifolds, it's already been re-supplied once, the first one didn't clear the steering shaft! Out of interest would heat shields make the gap look less?
    Last edited by Sportstog; 14-06-18 at 10:32 AM.
    Blog: http://pilgrimcobra.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast