Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Side vents air flow

Hi,

I'm trying to finalise the heat protection for my brake servo and pipes.

I appreciate there may be no one answer for all cars as a massive variation of headers etc but when running does anyone know how efficient the side vents are at expelling air from the engine bay? Is the hot air that the heat from the headers create sucked out the vents or just down and out the bottom of the car?

Hi
    I fitted a stainless steel heat shield around my brake servo and master cylinder As per UA recommendation
    Works fine
    The side vents must vent some heat but I would still heat shield the servo ect
    See my pics on the members gallery named "servo heat shield "
    Jon W

The air sucked in via the front openings and scoop whilst travelling at speed partially exits via the side vents, with the air flow helping to keep the headers cool(-er).

I think that was the original design intention. As to how efficient...who knows!

If you are running a Sumo then the air flow will also run along between the footboxes and the grp sides of the body and the under sills, unless blocked in.
    Last edited by KevinW; 18-06-18 at 06:43 PM.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Thanks guys. I’m building it as a horizontal plate between the header and servo to protect all the pipes etc. A solid plate will box in the headers so thinking about a gap by the vent so the hot air can escape. I was also thinking about an angled piece of aluminium to act as an air scoop to direct air up from below the car into the header area. A bit like ducts for the brakes.

I made a curved alloy shield around the servo covered on the underside with ceramic heat mat that meets the side vent 1/2way down it so the servo gets cool air circulation stays pretty cold ( dax)

This heat shield is something I`ve been planning on doing for a while would you guys happen to have any pics so I can get some ideas, thanks.

As said the air enters the engine bay via the open front and the bonnet scoop ,and as the air on the outside of the car rushes past the side vents, it creates a difference in air pressure over the vent, which sucks the air out the engine bay.
    This is how I fitted my vents http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59968

Regarding protecting the brake servo and clutch reservoir and related pipe work, you might want to look at my post on heat shields. http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56731
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

Hi Paul,
    thanks for the links and it looks like i had a past comment in the messages before but its something i intend to do is create a heat shield of some description its just another job on the list but one i will get around too,
    Gary.

Ive had some thoughts for some time about putting a couple of Computer fans behind the side vents
    MKIII Pilgrim Sumo. 3.5 Litre Rover V8 Towing an Eriba Puck Caravan

This is what I've come up with to protect the servo and also brake pipes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast