Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Servo Heat Protection

I was just wondering if it is necessary to protect the brake servo and clutch master from heat on an AK.
    If so what have people used ??

Hi, I used a heat reflective tape, I think it came from demon tweaks. I recently failed IVA and one item was the lack of heat protection on the copper brake pipes that go up the inside of the front wing. The tester suggested that the same material used on the servo and master cylinder would be adequate and I suspect that these might have failed as well if they weren't protected it's much easier to put the protection on before you fit the servo.

I had a look on the tweeks website. They have a couple of products.

One called Cool it thermo shield tape and another called design engineering cool tape.
    They both look to have similar properties and are a similar price. Although the shield tape seems to be more textured

Do you remember which one you went for ?

Sorry, I don't remember it was a few years ago.

No worries, I’m quite close to their superstore so I’ll drive over and take a look.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by incey1966 View Post
    No worries, I’m quite close to their superstore so I’ll drive over and take a look.

Cheers
    I would be interested to know what you find out!

Quote Originally Posted by incey1966 View Post
    I was just wondering if it is necessary to protect the brake servo and clutch master from heat on an AK.
    If so what have people used ??
    A while back I wrote an article for the ST mag on why and how i designed/made my brake servo and clutch reservoir and related pipe work heat shields , but if you dont get the mag, take a look at this post i wrote ,you may find it usefull.http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56731
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

I just bent some fairly thin aluminium into a bit of a shield for IVA but I feel the best approach overall (as it is what I did for the longer term) is to wrap your headers. A bit of a fiddly job but it drops the heat substantially in the engine bay and looks OK too.
    Robin
    AK427

Wrapping exhaust headers can cause moisture to be trapped against the headers and cause corrosion, it can also quickly look tatty.

The gold standard to reduce under bonnet temp is to have the headers ceramic coated, no risk of corrosion and it comes in a range to finishes, the only downside is the price!
    AK Gen II - Delivery May '15

Exhaust Wrapping...

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    Wrapping exhaust headers can cause moisture to be trapped against the headers and cause corrosion, it can also quickly look tatty.
    Stainless headers unlikely to corrode
    How it looks is a personal thing. Personally I like to see a good wrap.
    Robin
    AK427

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast