Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ground clearance

Just wondering how much ground clearance you folks are running. I took the cobra out for a run last weekend and managed to drop the nearside wheels into a bit of subsidence at the side of the road and clipped the sump. It didn't sound bad, so I drove on (1 mile)... until the oil pressure dropped, whereupon i stopped to inspect the damage. It turned out that the impact had actually unscrewed the sump plug completely out! For some reason on my sump, the drain plug is on the passenger side, so if you clip the ground with it, it tries to unscrew it. Other than a very minor scrape, the size of my thumbnail, there was no damage to the sump (I even did a dye-pen test for cracks when I got home). Fortunately, I had a spare sump plug in the garage, so after fitting that and re-filling with oil, everything was fine again (at least I hope I’ve not done any damage to the engine). I even found the sump plug in the middle of the road on the way back home.

Once in the garage, I measured my ground clearance. It's 3 1/4 inches to the sump (without me in the car), which feels a bit marginal to me. What do you guys think?
    4.6RV8 Sumo on MSD (finally!)

Its not the sump I worry about, its the bell housing!

aye - bell housing is and inch or so lower on mine than the sump

We all need one of AKCharlies sump guards

Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Interesting... My sump is fractionally lower than the bellhousing (and I think i'd rather it was).
    4.6RV8 Sumo on MSD (finally!)

Would recommend one of Charles sump guards which fit AK and Dax rail chassis not sure about Pilgrim . When he does another run of them . Its well engineered and nice piece of stainless and it need you can pack it out to lower it . M8 bolts and I will fix some rubber mounting to dampen the impact . On my Dax lowest point is the sump and front body under section at the nose .It appears AK its the bell housing.

I have had some lucky escapes but its just a question of time . Its that awful sinking feeling when you hear the thud from under neath . The roads are getting worse ! Bottomed out the other day on a dip on the road ! I have not measured my sump height

Thanks for recommendation Jon.
    Benjai, I am looking at putting another run together so if you are interested give me a shout. (Your clearance is about right)

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    Would recommend one of Charles sump guards which fit AK and Dax rail chassis not sure about Pilgrim . When he does another run of them . Its well engineered and nice piece of stainless and it need you can pack it out to lower it . M8 bolts and I will fix some rubber mounting to dampen the impact . On my Dax lowest point is the sump and front body under section at the nose .It appears AK its the bell housing.

I have had some lucky escapes but its just a question of time . Its that awful sinking feeling when you hear the thud from under neath . The roads are getting worse ! Bottomed out the other day on a dip on the road ! I have not measured my sump height
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Do you think it would fit an SR Ken? - what measurements would you need - Center to Center of chassis rails, rail width and lowest point from bottom of chassis rail?

rgds
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Gary, Ken???
    Width of guard 550mm
    Holes Centres 500mm
    Clearance from bottom rail to guard 70mm
    Length 510mm

Regards
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by nealgs View Post
    Do you think it would fit an SR Ken? - what measurements would you need - Center to Center of chassis rails, rail width and lowest point from bottom of chassis rail?

rgds
    Gary
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Forgot to state that if you send me measurements then the guard can be made to suit
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by nealgs View Post

rgds
    Gary

I think I need one of them too
    Give me a shout when your doing a run
    If I haven’t made one by then

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast