Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sumo/Chevy sump

Sumo/Chevy sump

Hi guys
    I have a Mk 3 Sumo fitted with a 350 Chevy. The sump hangs so low I have had to adjust the suspension units high - to clear speed humps etc and it really doesn’t look too good.
    So, I wonder who else has had a similar problem – and how did you get over it - I can't mount the engine any higher so maybe a shallower sump or even a dry sump (is that even possible with a small block Chevy)?
    An additional 1" clearance would make a massive difference
    Any help woud be appreciated
    Doc

Whats the lowest point the sump or the bell housing ? If it's the sump then a shallower one is the answer. If its the bell housing then it's the complete engine / gearbox combo that needs raising.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Hi Doc, been looking in to exactly this recently. Canton and Moroso do pans that are a good bit shallower than the stock (8 3/8"), like this one from Moroso:

http://www.shopmoroso.com/eb/catalog...nuId=main.menu

Lots of choice but do I.D. your 350 block first to ensure getting the correct pan (dipstick side and 1 or 2 piece RMS etc.). Tinka makes a valid point though, the oil pan being only one potential part of the clearance problem. HTH

I chopped my sump & added wings to the side to maintain capacity as I kept catching the sump plug....It's the same height as the belhousing now!

Steve

Attached Images Attached Images
    AK 427, Chevy 350, Jag Getrag

If you can make it - MAKE IT!

Yeah a very valid point Tinka, I just had a look and the sump and it is a bit lower than the bell housing - but only 5mm at most, so it would appear that a lower profile sump is probably not the answer. Going down the raising of the engine/gearbox route - it would probably just be the case of grafting in a taller air scoop to accommodate the raised air filter. But raising the gearbox on a Sumo - that is another matter. At the minimum that would involve fabrication of a taller tunnel as well as the higher transmission mounts themselves. Probably not the end of the world during construction but modifying my lovingly crafted dash would have me reaching for the Valium!

Of course, you could fit a dry-sump, but then you need a smaller bellhousing (as pointed out) to benefit from that.
    Seems that the UK Cobra's bonnet line is generally lower than US built versions which results in clearance problems for air filter, or sump (or both!).
    Nothing is as it seems...

I had the same issue, managed to raise the gear box by packing out the mounting bolt and tipping the engine forward slightly. because the lowest part of the sump is behind the engine mounts this increased clearance significantly. Also I moved the sump plug to the side face for an extra 8mm. Check how much room you have above your gearbox, through the gear stick hole, I have a Getrag box and there was loads of room in the tunnel. I should add that this will alter the angle of your prop shaft which you may need to check (I havent driven mine yet). Also the Getrag clutch fork clashed with the passenger foot well, had to bash it out a bit!

Intriguing Martin, I'll remove the shifter boot the weekend and have a butchers. Cheers

Not the greatest idea, I am afraid, unless you kept an eye on the propshaft angles. Differential input and transmission output should be parallel. Better even in line.
    Nothing is as it seems...

I had to raise my gearbox by packing the gearbox mount. The limitation I had was the exhaust headers getting close to the brake servo.

TKO500 Box

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast