Thread: carpets

carpets

I want to replace the carpets in my sumo,any suggestions for type of carpet, Pilgrims quality is not the best, or a trimmer in Cornwall?

my suggestion is do -it-yourself - get a roll of carpet you like from one of the reputable companies such as Woolies - they wil send you a sample.
    Cut it up yourself and get a local trimmer to bind the edges with vynil or leather strip. Should work out same price as a complete Pilgrim carpet set but better fit and finish!
    There are some pics in my gallery showing what i did on my old car.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

As Kevin said,do it yourself, I used off cuts from a good quality hessian backed domestic carpet, use the old carpet as a template, then get the edges bound by a local carpet fitter, my carpet came for free and the binding cost £26, fitting is easy use a contact adhesive, warm the back of the carpet up with a hairdryer to get it to bend around the footwell etc.
    Roger

I will just add, if you intend to use your car and it is going to get wet and they do if you use them, then get a good quality rot proof carpet. My carpet came from Coverdale and has been wet a few times and absolutely sodden once and it is fine

Paul
    AK, on the road Oct 2012

I would agree with that, I made mine so the whole floor piece can come out and be hung up to dry

Just another tip if you’re doing it yourself because I didn’t realise until it was explained by the ex Aston trimmer that was doing my seats and edging the carpets, make sure the pile runs the same way. To test, run your hand over and look for the shading.
    Dek

I cut marine grade ply boards for the foot well floor area about 3/4" inch smaller all round and then wrapped carpet around the edges and stapled the rear. These could then be easily lifted out for drying and hoovering. I would avoid glue - double-sided carpet tape will allow you to pull it out and replace it if needed. Gluing will be a PITA to remove should need arise.

The crendon carpet is fully removeable, apart from the bit trapped under the seats for exactly the reason stated above.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.