Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Flykilla View Post
    I always use cork gaskets, but the approach may be possible with your gaskets. Spray top side of gasket with contact adhesive and locate it in the rocker cover, making sure bolt holes are lined up and all edges are in the right place. Turn around and put on flat surface with a weight on top and let cure over night. Use studs instead of bolts. Put studs into heads and then carefully put rocker cover ,with a light rub of oil around the bottom of gasket, onto the heads.Torque up the nuts to the correct setting, careful not to crush the gaskets.

I have been told that the main reason leaks occurs if you try and put the gasket down first and then the gasket moves when you put the rocker covers on. I also dont like the idea of using some sort of sealer between the heads and gaskets. Its a bit of a mare when you come to change gaskets.
    Since posting I’ve seen this method and it seems to make some sense. I think it’s safe to assume that the gaskets were made to do their job and the use of sealants is, as you say, is to compensate for movement when fitting. Don’t think I could fit studs as I would not have room on the covers to turn a nut but once the gasket is stuck shouldn’t be a problem to use the original bolts. So really this is a derivation of sticking the gasket to the head. I must admit though that the gasket is shaped to fit the cover, not the head. Perhaps a combination of both. Contact adhesive to the cover/gasket to fix it for fitting followed by Hyelomar on the head and bottom surface of the gasket to compensate for any uneven head surface.
    Dek

Just be sparing with the blue hyelomar, have read that the surplus edges can break down overtime and end up in the sump and block the pickup filter, this happened to someone and caused engine troubles, i have always stuck gasket to cover and greased bottom of cork gasket, never had any leaks yet, even after removing covers too set valve lash
    DAX TOJEIRO DE DION
    CHEVY SB 383 STROKER 6.2Ltr 450 Hp
    Tremec TKO 3550 3.54.1 Jag Diff
    RCR Mk 1 GT 40 in build

Quote Originally Posted by andy l View Post
    Just be sparing with the blue hyelomar, have read that the surplus edges can break down overtime and end up in the sump and block the pickup filter, this happened to someone and caused engine troubles, i have always stuck gasket to cover and greased bottom of cork gasket, never had any leaks yet, even after removing covers too set valve lash
    Thanks Andy. Yes it’s got to put on both sides thinly so it can “flash off” before mating the surfaces. All done now. Will leave until tomorrow before starting up. Hope I don’t discover the drip wasn’t from the rockers and it’s all been a waste of time!
    Dek.

We assume that your ally version is plane and not cracked The pressed steel version is often deformed to the point that they touch only around the 4 bolts!
    Nothing is as it seems...

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    We assume that your ally version is plane and not cracked The pressed steel version is often deformed to the point that they touch only around the 4 bolts!
    Thanks Dominik. Yes the alloy heads look true and I know what you mean about the steel ones. The weak point on mine I think are the heads. Thin, slightly curved and uneven. Anyway all done now. I decided on contact adhesive to rocker cover and blue Hyelomar to rocker cover gasket and head. So far so good!
    Dek

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12