Starter problem ? Opinions / advice please!

Hi All,
    Ive been using my Cobra (pilgrim mk3) regularly, this summer, and twice now Ive had this problem:

I touch the immobiliser fob to the car, put key in ignition and engine starts, but starter motor continues to run.
    I turn off the ignition, remove the key, the starter still continues to run, I remove a terminal from the battery and the starter motor stops.
    I re-attach the battery terminal and the starter starts to run - without immobiliser being touched or even the key in the ignition.
    the first time it happened, I went back to the car about an hour later attached the battery terminal and it was fine, ie starter didn't start running straight away, I had to touch the immobiliser fob and turn the key in the ignition, the engine started, and the starter stopped running.
    Second time it happened I hit the starter with a hammer (!), and it sorted it self out
    Grateful for any advice!
    Kind regards
    Parm

Don't mean to state the obvious but is the start button sticking closed ?
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Sounds like a sticking starter solenoid to me.
    You may have to remove the starter motor, strip clean and lubricate.
    Dean.
    Lost. 1 portion of common sense! Somewhere between here and last week. If found please have it committed.
    If things are meant to be simple, then I wont do it! Hence why I have a Viper

Quote Originally Posted by steamyrotter View Post
    Sounds like a sticking starter solenoid to me.
    Yup - if it was spinning over without the key in then (assuming wired correctly) that rules out the starter button, but if the solenoid is sticking that would effectively just be a jumper between battery +ve and starter +ve.
    Hitting it with a hammer stopping it confirms that.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Thanks guys, I don't have a 'starter button' so I will check the starter motor - BTW its a Rover 3.5 & manual