Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cooling

I have a standard 3.5 RV8 Sumo with the same problem in this weather. When I was running without the Pilgrim Mesh fitted no real problem except in traffic jams and then the fans coped fine. I did however refit the Pilgrim Mesh to keep small stones from possibly damaging the radiator and back came the problem but only really significant in very hot weather. The intention ever since has been to fit a less obstructive stainless steel mesh instead but somehow I still haven't got round to it. This year has made me think about it again! It would certainly be a good idea to run without the Pilgrim mesh, if that is what you have fitted, and see how well your cooling system copes.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnpen View Post
    I have a standard 3.5 RV8 Sumo with the same problem in this weather. When I was running without the Pilgrim Mesh fitted no real problem except in traffic jams and then the fans coped fine. I did however refit the Pilgrim Mesh to keep small stones from possibly damaging the radiator and back came the problem but only really significant in very hot weather. The intention ever since has been to fit a less obstructive stainless steel mesh instead but somehow I still haven't got round to it. This year has made me think about it again! It would certainly be a good idea to run without the Pilgrim mesh, if that is what you have fitted, and see how well your cooling system copes.

John
    Hi John

If i run with a mesh or not its keeps a nice temp. I only over heat in traffic. The radiator hold 3 liters of water with 2 x 12 inch fans. No problem when moving at 30mph + only problem when in traffic. Both fans work and are controlled manually.

Do you have space for a single 16” fan?

12” are normally 850cfm ish
    16” are 2400 cfm ish

bigger is better in this case

Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    T56 Gearbox
    3.54 LSD Diff
    AP Vented front brakes
    Outboard X308 Vented rear brakes

I have a big block FE in mine. A Rover SD1 3 row rad a 16 inch fan. I had cooling problems in traffic on hot days but the cure was simple.

The fan is only pulling air through a 16 inch diameter you need to make a rad cowl so the fan pulls air through the whole rad. I made a 30mm deep frame and used 2mm ally mounted the fan on this made sure it was sealed to the rad. No more problems no matter what the air temperature or how long your in traffic voila job done.
    Barry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123