IVA cancelled and engine out question

My car is a generation 1 AK with ford 302 and getrag gearbox. I have engine problems as the engine misses badly under load and gets worse as it gets hotter. I also have crankcase fumes venting from the breather. I put it down to the engine being stood for years and the rings sticking, however I have compression tested it and the best is 150psi and the worst is 125psi, I suspect a cylinder head problem as well as worn rings, so I have decided to pull it out for a rebuild. My question is, can I leave the gearbox in the car, support the front of the gearbox and remove the engine. Its looks close, but with the front pulley removed, there may be room to disengage the engine from the gearbox. I would like to hear from anyone who has done it and as usual, I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks, Mick

You can remove the gearbox leaving the engine in the car (I have done this quite a few times) but I cant see it being worth the trouble to do it the other way around. As you say you have to remove the front pulley and even then I don't think you would have enough room for the input shaft to clear all the clutch assembly so you can remove it, as you don't really want to start angling the engine to clear all this. Why not just remove it all in one go only thing extra needed is to undo the gearbox mounts and take off the gearstick oh and of course catch the gearbox oil as the prop comes out.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Yes, you should have enough room to juggle the engine free leaving the gearbox in place just.

Alan.
    AK Gen II delivery date Oct '15
    GM Vortec LQ4 364ci
    Tremec T56 Terminator.

I got mine out
    I removed water pump and camchain cover on my Pontiac lump in an AK
    I did buy and use an engine leveler bar to help alignment and tilling of engine
    So much easier with one

Thanks to all who replied. I take Tinka's point about it being worth the trouble to leave the gearbox in place. I think I will pull it out in one piece and look at machining up a cap to replace the nose of the prop and hopefully keep the gearbox oil in. I will also look into using an engine leveller too. Cheers, Mick

A latex glove will often fit well enough to hold the oil. Maybe plus a zip tie
    Or another prop yoke if you happen to have one

A
    A S motorsport Ltd. 01379 688356 mob; 07909531816 web; asmotorsport.co.uk email \"andrewsoar@yahoo.com\"

Thanks to all who replied to my post and for the advice. I have ordered an engine load leveller and will be doing some prep work next week with a view to removing the engine/gearbox in one. I am looking forward to pulling it apart with the intention of building a 347 stroker engine. I had planned on doing this at a later date, building another engine and swapping them post IVA, but the running problems have just forced my hand. There is a saying "it will be all right in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end".
    Note to anyone with an older or rebuilt engine, don't assume because it sound ok and starts and idles ok, that it will run under load properly. Take it for a drive, even it means the expense of having it transported somewhere before booking an IVA test. Once bitten twice shy. Cheers, Mick