Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Wow, great advice there, thank you. I'll check out the column sensor next time I'm in the garage.
    DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

Quote Originally Posted by conrod View Post
    1) Before you install the column, check that the position/torque sensor is working OK and correctly centred with a multimeter. In my case, the sensor was faulty, so I was able to get a replacement sensor before completing the installation.
    I don't suppose you have a link to any destructions that describe what to look for, do you?
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Sorry for not replying sooner Aaron - I've only just seen this now my mysterious forum access problem has miraculously disappeared!

The first post in this thread:

https://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/othe...formation.html

has some useful info.

The Corsa B sensor has six wires compared with four (I think) on the Corsa C. I opened the duff one I had and it has a two-wiper variable potentiometer (aka stereo volume control) inside. I can't remember which wire is which now (I can check if required), but each has three wires (one for each end and one for the wiper arm). With a multimeter attached I turned the sensor assembly until I got the same resistance reading for the wiper to end A as I did for the wiper to end B (which means the wiper arm is in the centre position) and then tightened the two securing bolts and applied a hot glue gun to prevent it moving.

I suspect the Corsa B uses the second wiper as a backup in case the first fails - and, as it has fewer wires, I assume the Corsa C one doesn't have this redundancy. This may be why it's generally considered to be less reliable than the Corsa B one.

Another tip - I also found that, once installed, there was lateral play at the steering wheel end due to a worn top bearing. This is a special double bearing assembly (GM part number 90334860) which is in theory no longer available. However, I managed to find a supplier - go to http://genuinepartsearch.co.uk/ and type 90334860 in the part number field. It was £7.09 when I ordered mine in May, and it's now £8.87. So you might want to grab one while they're still available!

Hope this helps!
    Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)
    Dax 427 DeDion - Huddart SBC 383

If you need any spare parts (such as the bearing mentioned above), this may be handy for part numbers -

https://vauxhall.7zap.com/da/car/s93/l/0/9-1/

Sean
    Too many idiots, not enough villages!

The bearing mentioned in Conrod's post is no longer available from that company.

When seeing his post I placed an order but got a reply and refund saying they have no more.

Sean
    Too many idiots, not enough villages!

That's a pity Sean - looks as though I may have grabbed the last one.
    Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)
    Dax 427 DeDion - Huddart SBC 383

Conrod - superb detailed info on the trouble shooting for the column, thanks for putting it up.

I'm back from holiday now and my next job is to weld in the new bracket for the rack. I'll take some pics during the job.
    DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

There's more useful info here

http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/blog...steering-epas/

(I'm gathering parts to do the same job on my Ram)
    Cheers

Myles D-W

What Corsa column is easiest or best column B or column C . I see people use both models with comments try and get a column B . I see that the Column C are a lot more redly available due to age and more than likely its going have less wear.

Quote Originally Posted by GUMBALL View Post
    The bearing mentioned in Conrod's post is no longer available from that company.

When seeing his post I placed an order but got a reply and refund saying they have no more.

Sean
    Available on eBay from the US - also used on other GM models; seems a shame to have to ship something like that in from the US, but it's the same way with a lot of older Vauxhall parts now (I used to have an Omega, and parts are getting scarce in the UK, but the Cadillac Catera is basically identical)

Probably not helped by the fact that they're now owned by Groupe PSA..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast