Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

So, the pics hopefully show why I will have to cut the dash to give clearance for the switch plugs. Also, should show how the column shaft is touching the exhaust manifold and will need to be re-positioned.

I see your making good progress and as you say all the theory sounds good but you can only see how things run with a trial fitting . I also have the old Triumph Dolomite column .

Interesting how you get on re-wiring the switch gear going to the Ford switches. Is the horn on the stalk ? Is your Column the adjustable Corsa B also any part number on which one your using ?

Been doing a lot of reading on the control side and the inputs required for the Computer . Some comments on the speed controller of the cpu that the steering can get light at speed. The speed can be is taken off ABS sensor but we don't have ABS so there are after market speed sensors .

Would it be easier to rerun the exhaust pipe and leave the steering nice and straight ?
    Last edited by jon1d; 07-08-18 at 01:22 PM.

Hi Jon,
    I've already identified which pins go to which functions on the Ford switches, which are actually Fiesta Mk2. I went for these specifically because I wanted to keep the horn on the stalk and the Sierra one doesn't have that feature.
    The module I will be using to control the EPAS comes with a potentiometer, so I will be controlling the level of assistance manually.
    As for the steering - I have moved the footwell bearing down a little bit and everything is clear now. It's not a big issue, as there is a u/j on the end of the EPAS unit so the small adjustment I made was 'absorbed' by that joint.

Still a lot of work to be done though. Pics later...

Great feedback . I will have to go the same route with the Fiesta MK2 . Any wiring would be helpful or photos cheers This post has been a great help .

Have you considered going for an "original" VW Beetle/Karmann Ghia stalk? You'd only have indicators and a pull switch available, but it's quite a bit smaller in footprint than the Sierra stalks, and fits right on (almost) the Corsa column. Might mean you don't have to perform open-dash surgery..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Thanks Jon - glad to be of use.
    I did consider the VW switch option, but not enough functions for it to be worthwhile for me. Thanks for the tip though.
    Today, I modified the steering wheel boss, which was far, far too deep for the car. The height of the steel section of the boss is a massive 71mm. I needed to remove 64mm from it to get the wheel where it needs to be. So, I cut and shut it, very pleased with the result.
    In addition, I have an alloy centre cap which didn't quite fit my previous boss, so I painstakingly filed down the edge which retained the O-ring and binned the O-ring to get it in the hole. This was fine, but how would I retain it? I used a small, high-powered magnet screwed to the back of the cap, spaced so it was just clear of the steering column nut. Perfect!
    Now, with my new column, I needed to mount the magnet flush in the back of the cap. I wasn't looking forward to this, but it went very well. Fortunately, this alloy is is extremely soft so I drilled out as much as possible and then used a rotary file to tidy it up. I decided to 'pot' it in, using fibreglass resin. It's important to let it set completely (a week or so) to allow it to become completely hard, away from any ferrous metals. These magnets are strong, and the resin might move if not fully set.
    Pics...

That’s designed to crush in a frontal crunch to stop the wheel puncturing a hole in your chest, hope you have some other form of collapsible mechanism somewhere else.

Rgds

Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jim View Post
    That’s designed to crush in a frontal crunch to stop the wheel puncturing a hole in your chest, hope you have some other form of collapsible mechanism somewhere else.

Rgds

Jim
    My '56 Morris Minor was similarly equipped. You drive what you choose to drive.

I thought of doing the same thing to my boss, but decided to leave it as it was for the reason you stated Jim. However, the Corsa B column does have a collapsible section inside - which can lead to head scratching getting the hub to fit if the column has already partially slid down internally!

But, of course, if safety were your main concern a Cobra would certainly not be your vehicle of choice - so as Bannon said it's the owner's choice and decision.
    Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)
    Dax 427 DeDion - Huddart SBC 383

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast