Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

MY DAX MK3 STEERING UPGRADE: To Corsa B EPAS and Quaife Rack Current MK4 Spec.

My Dax Cobra is a Mk3. I've owned it for around 18 months and it was built by a retired aircraft engineer colleague of mine. Chassis ordered in 1990, finally SVA'd in 2003. The result? A VERY low mileage, but old-spec DAX. My dream car - at last - in my possession. Extracted from it's birthplace - a lock-up garage - with only 130 miles on the odometer, I carefully got it running again, MoTd, and hit the road.
    I love it. It's solid, the suspension soaks up the shitty roads well. But the steering. The steering is a real disappointment. It's too heavy, it tram-lines, it bump-steers dangerously. Therefore, my current project is to remove the modified Triumph Dolomite rack, mounting points and column assembly, and replace it with the current spec which is Vauxhall Corsa 'B' EPAS (Electric Power Assisted Steering) column, with the bespoke for Dax, Quaife rack and associated parts.
    So - my plans to get the fabulous DAX (previously Dave Brooks) Le Mans hardtop are shelved to make way for this upgrade. I hope my forthcoming posts are of use to anyone thinking to do the same and I'll welcome any posts, comments, advice or criticism along the way.
    I'm sure this will transform my car and make it awesome to drive. Let's see.
    DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

Shopping list: (all prices are approx)
    Vauxhall Corsa 'B' EPAS steering column. £125.
    ECU Controller Module (supplies artificial signal to the Vauxhall ECU) £20
    Steering Wheel Boss. Used. £20.
    Quaife Steering Rack. £600.
    DAX Adaptor Kit. £125.
    DAX Column Modification Service. £50.
    DAX Rack Mounting Bracket (to weld to chassis). £55.
    DAX Splined Shaft (long) £30.
    DAX Supplied Universal Joint. (QTY 2) £100.

£1015. Plus Christ knows how much in consumables, the odd tool, odds, ends, etc. You get it.

Now - if you have Dolomite switch gear, (indicators, wipers, etc), I think you can retain tem. I have bought MK2 Fiesta stalks and loom plugs which I can fit using the DAX supplied (included in kit) adaptor fitting. I might not bother at this stage, as my stalks are working fine. Incidentally, I have rotated the whole switch assembly to place the indicators on the left side of the column - just for personal preference.

While I remember - CARBUILDER SOLUTIONS!! Neil Foreman is an outstanding engineer. I've followed this guy since I was a teenager, reading his monthly installments of his Ferrari P4 replica build every month in 'Which Kit?' mag, in awe of the standards he would strive for - and exceed - through his home build. His blog for their final 'keeper' P4 build is incredible and continues to fascinate me and I recommend you check it out. I'll dig out the link to it.

I'll take some pics tomorrow, not done too much yet really.

Hi Bannon,

as i know, DAX used the steering column from the sierra in the past. They took also the switches from there.
    The DAX EPAS Solution is sierra switch compatible.
    Hope that helps. If you have any questions in detail - ask John Kox or Adam from DAX.

Regards
    Joerg

Pics...

Thanks Joerg, my car is pre-Sierra column though - with Dolomite column and switches. Sierra column came a few years later.
    Here are some pics of progress so far, and of the 'kit' that I have put together.

Attached Images Attached Images

Photos...

Sorry for the random order of the pics. I have two kids running riot so no time to be too fussy about things. The Shots of the new column show the DAX adaptor brackets fitted, the modified lower shaft fitted, and also the chopped-down top bearing housing which is now the same diameter as the column tube. (39.5mm approx). There is a pic of the old chassis bracket that I removed, and a pic of the new bracket which is ready to go in. You'll see that I have bare-metalled the chassis for it. In another shot, you can see that I've left a stub of square section on the chassis rail. This is where I will relocate the earth lead from the engine. If I'd cut it off I would have had to weld a new tab on, which seemed a bit pointless. I'll weld a nut inside it, cap it off and job done.

It might be a collapsible section but what safety would it give going into your chest also reducing the length by 2-3 inches allows extra distance from you to the streering wheel . You have the main collapsible section in the engine bay with .uj joints . Also we don't have airbags .

My last word on this boss safety issue: Range Rovers are available.

Today, I have been mostly ransacking my garage (and my dad's by phone) in the hunt for a suitable indicator-cancelling mechanism. The DAX build manual assumes I already have the Sierra installation, including the indicator parts, and a DAX supplied boss.
    I've sorted the boss - and today, having found NOTHING suitable for the cancelling device - I set about making one from scratch.
    I found a steel washer. I found some flat steel bar from an old Halfords foot-pump. I started making...
    It isn't finished yet, but I'll show you what I've made so far.

Also pictured is the foot well bearing in its new position - I will be making a cover plate to finish.
    Last edited by Bannon; 10-08-18 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Extra pic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast