Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I agree with Russell

I had a similar problem quite a few years ago at Brands Hatch - "chemical metal" provided a very good temporary solution (I was hugely sceptical at the time) which was still oil tight when I had the sump welded
    Cobra not quite as shiny as my head

Thanks for all the previous advice. My Sumo is now back on the road with a replacement second hand sump. Attached are pictures of my old one 'post brick in the road'. It is pretty heavily dented and you can see the small split. Is it worthwhile attacking with a hammer to remove the dents and sorting a weld or is it likely to fatigue it too much and need a genuine Blacksmith? I would like to keep it as a spare in case something similar occurs in the future.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well that is pretty battered!, as to fixing it, at the end of the day it's only steel, it can be knocked out the split welded and probably a patch over the area to make sure, but it is up to you if you can be bothered finding a welder who will do this, and of course if you think it's worth the cost

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by johnpen View Post
    Does anyone know of a source for a replacement SD1 (1987) sump? Main road 'brick' at 40 mph seen to late. Managed a few miles as no drop in oil pressure straight a way but when parking the oil pressure light flickered. On checking underneath oil running out from sump bottom but reasonably slowly. After recovery to a local garage found a 0.5 cm slit and a big dent in the sump bottom. I have looked on ebay but the only ones available are 'Auctions' so no guarantee of winning although I have placed a bid on one. The bid ends on Wednesday 25th so grateful for any advice or info on other possibilities in case it fails.

John
    Hi John
    You could give Antony a call [Absolute Horsepower] he maybe able to repair it for you he is 15mins up the M5 from you [wellington] nice chap
    but bit tight with tea
    Last edited by andy l; 09-08-18 at 09:54 PM.
    DAX TOJEIRO DE DION
    CHEVY SB 383 STROKER 6.2Ltr 450 Hp
    Tremec TKO 3550 3.54.1 Jag Diff
    RCR Mk 1 GT 40 in build

Hi Andy 1,

Thanks for the info. I will be on holiday for 2 weeks now so I will check with Antony when I return. The trouble is with such low sumps I think we need armour plating for sumps.

John

Someone on here makes a rather nice undertray/sump protector/guard that bolts to the chassis rails.. erm, someone will be along with the right name in a moment, two days in Vegas has boiled my brain!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

That would be AKCharliešŸ‘

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12