Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skinny hood?

"Although with a 15ton stretch former which made to job a tad easier"

Time to boost those biceps Charlie!

LOL!!!
    Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)
    Dax 427 DeDion - Huddart SBC 383

What Biceps! I did give myself a blister yesterday! Hands must have got soft!
    Charlie
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

So how much then eh? 😎

Hi,
    Anything moved on potential quick hood?
    Reg
    Gav
    AK Ls1/t56
    Body on April 2014
    Passed IVA March 2017
    Registered April 2017.

The good news is that production of the hood bows has apparently recommenced. I'll be making a skinny hood for Charlie, but the roll hoop and seat arrangements for the AK are different from the Dax, necessitating a spacer to sit over the roll hoops to give the required head clearance. Charlie approached someone with a view to getting some 3D printed, but as this seemed to have stalled I decided to bite the bullet and invest in a 3D printer myself.

I've spent the last few months building it then making loads of modifications. Great fun - they're just like kit cars!

I also had to master AutoCAD Fusion 360 for creating 3D designs - that was one hell of a steep learning curve!

Then after further research I realised that I would need to use nylon filament for the spacers rather than the usual PLA, which is quite brittle and isn't too good if exposed to UV and heat. So my latest upgrade is to a nylon-capable extruder/hot-end, which required me to design and build a new mounting carriage and cooling fan assembly. I completed that this weekend, and the spacer design is about 80% completed, although the relatively small 200mm x 200mm print platform is presenting a few practical challenges.

I'll post back here when things have progressed further ....
    Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)
    Dax 427 DeDion - Huddart SBC 383

You clever Chappy Alan.
    Appreciate your help
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by conrod View Post
    The good news is that production of the hood bows has apparently recommenced. I'll be making a skinny hood for Charlie, but the roll hoop and seat arrangements for the AK are different from the Dax, necessitating a spacer to sit over the roll hoops to give the required head clearance. Charlie approached someone with a view to getting some 3D printed, but as this seemed to have stalled I decided to bite the bullet and invest in a 3D printer myself.

I've spent the last few months building it then making loads of modifications. Great fun - they're just like kit cars!

I also had to master AutoCAD Fusion 360 for creating 3D designs - that was one hell of a steep learning curve!

Then after further research I realised that I would need to use nylon filament for the spacers rather than the usual PLA, which is quite brittle and isn't too good if exposed to UV and heat. So my latest upgrade is to a nylon-capable extruder/hot-end, which required me to design and build a new mounting carriage and cooling fan assembly. I completed that this weekend, and the spacer design is about 80% completed, although the relatively small 200mm x 200mm print platform is presenting a few practical challenges.

I'll post back here when things have progressed further ....
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Hi,
    Just wondering if you went into production and/or if you have made a hood to fit a Gardner Douglas?
    Ashley
    GD427 Mk4

Hi,
    How does all the soft tops actually fit to the brasscraft screens? Never seen one up close, anyone any pictures?
    Regards
    Gav
    AK Ls1/t56
    Body on April 2014
    Passed IVA March 2017
    Registered April 2017.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12