Pro Comp Electronics control box issues

Hi Guys,
    I have a Ford 351c in my RAM and ever since the engine conversion I've experienced hesitation on part throttle and a mis-fire at the upper rev range. I've spent ages fiddling with the carb (Holley 670 VS), adjusted the pump settings, increased the pump volume, increased the power valve size, changed both primary and secondary fuel nozzle sizes, all to no avail. I started to alter the distributor timing and things seem to be improving, not enough though. I've heard stories of this MSD copy as being rubbish, has anyone had any first hand experience? The engine conversion and setting up initially was done by Thunder Road Cars and Cheng was baffled as to why these symptoms should exist after he'd checked everything when he put the engine in. I've spent 2 years trying to locate the problem and only now started to wonder if this "cheap" MSD copy system could actually be the problem. I replaced the Pro Comp billet distributor before the engine was started with a genuine MSD billet unit, although I kept the control box and coil pack.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Ian

Would it be worth seeing if Cheng has a spare proper MSD unit he could lend or do some testing with?

I had an issue a few years ago, with RPM related issues with my MSD unit (spluttering and stuttering at 4k RPM or higher), turns out my MSD unit was a copy of an MSD unit - the serial number of the unit matched the serial number of the photograph on the original and genuine MSD box. A google search or two later found a number of threads regarding dodgy MSD units with a particular serial number - yep you guessed - exactly the same as mine. Had to buy new MSD unit but issue was fixed.

rgds
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Thank you Gary for your prompt reply and confirmation of my thoughts. I'll replace the control system and coil for MSD products and hope this is the end of my quest.

Best regards
    Ian

This was a about the 6-AL not sure if you have this version ?

https://bangshift.com/general-news/s...ion-vs-a-fake/

No it was a pro comp version of a MSD 6 unit, no rev control available.

I had problems with an Accel unit that does the same thing as above - lots of backfires and terrible timing behaviour..This, I believe, was mainly due to the method of installation, as I think Mike Huddart gave me the wrong diagram to implement in my loom. Either that, or it was a faulty unit. Engine sounded terrible.

Once I cut out the ignition box from the ignition circuit and just used the dizzy to fire the coil the engine has sounded so much better.....after it was re-timed using a vac gauge.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Certainly food for thought, it all seems to point in the same direction. The control box/wiring is where I need to look further at. The car starts first time and idles well, it just stumbles on part throttle initially and then mis-fires at the upper rev ranges. Overall I am loosing power and not getting the most out of the car, hence why I thought I'd ask for fresh minds to confirm or deny if I'm on the right track.

Many thanks for your input