Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Handbrake issue (sigh)

Hi all,
    I have the standard AK handbrake setup with outboard XJS brakes and drop down handbrake lever. It was setup nicely and passed IVA with relative ease, but now a year down the line I am barely able to pull the handbrake lever on to engage the first click on the lever mechanism and even doing so this has no braking effect at all (can freely spin the wheels of jacked up). Anyone got any ideas what could be the issue?
    Cheers,
    Mike
    AK427 - Modified LS3 - TKO600
    Build started September 2014
    OTR March 2017

legendarydude.com

You only really have one solution and that’s the adjusters inside the drums (accessible through the holes in the disks behind the wheels) assuming nothing moved in the cable adjustment??

I hate to say it again, but poor handbrake efficiency seems to be normal with this set up.

I converted my first AK to electric post IVA and the second is going electric from the start.

Mike,

With the handbrake only having one click . I think some thing is snagging on the the cable or gone a miss with the brake levers to the disc brakes. If it was working perfect before you need to have an inspection of the springs and the levers on the discs where the cable is attached. I would first check the handbrake end and the cable is not getting caught as you racket it up. The XJS handbrake is know for being poor but its should be 5- 7 click and there still poor unable to hold the car on a good incline .

The XJ outboard disks work perfectly with an electric actuator and the two AK supplied cables.
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

Go electric! You know you want to!! Never had any issues with mine since I fitted the electric type. As Craig states, it utilises the AK cables so all you have to do is fit an actuator. I fitted mine under the floor which was a bit fiddly but I know of one fitted where the handbrake lever is situated. Power has to be on to actuate handbrake.
    Cheers
    Charlie
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

IVA states that the (electric) handbrake could be activitied using the button with the ignition off, but not deactivated.

My set up is the same as Charlie's ( thanks to Charlie) you can put the handbrake on without the ignition being on , but not deactivate it without ignition

Personally I would advise anyone to go electric not difficult to retro fit .would be really easy to do at build stage.

Certainly tempted to do it on my Dax - I reckon the actuator could go where the handbrake handle does.. I do need to investigate the handbrake, though, as I only have one click between off & on, and bugger all movement in the cables - which doesn't seem right (XJ40, outboard brakes)
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Not sure about outboard brakes, but on my inboard ones I have found a handbrake pad coming loose of its steel plate and reposition itself in a non functional way....Surely on the outboard version more easily accesed and checked,

Best Regards, Theo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast